'Cool Brewing' user tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
Ugh. So I didn't want to add another fermentation temp thread, but I wanted to hear from those of you who use the fermentation cooler from Cool Brewing for a few tips. I'm fairly new still, and have read a million and one threads about the importance of temp control, setups, variations based on yeast and style and temp ranges... I think I understand the principle. In practice however...

Ok, so I'm a few days into using it for the first time, and it works great. Problem: I'm having a hard time deciding on what amount of ice to put in to cool my wort/beer. Here are the 'general guidelines' from Cool Brewing:

"*2 ice 2-liters lowered actively fermenting wort an average of 11 degrees for 24 to 36 hours before thawing.
*3 ice 2 liters lowered actively fermenting wort an average of 15 degrees for 24 to 48 hours before thawing.
*Therefore roughly 1 ice 2-liter will lower fermenting wort around 5 degrees for a 5 gallon batch. Again this is roughly and results will vary."

Obviously, not going to be exact. Ambient temp here north of Seattle is oh, low 60's at night to mid 70's at most during the day. The other factor is I've read fermentation can raise temps from 5-15 degrees, another huge potential fluctuation in temperature. My only thermometer is my dial type that is in my pitcher of sanitizer that my blowoff tube goes into, its stayed around 58-60 for the past three days(when I pitched the yeast, at 70 degrees) Like I said, first attempt at temp control and its not pretty, 'specially since I don't have a better means of knowing what's actually going on in there. I've been using 1 gallon of ice, then I'll put more ice in (extra 2L) , take it out, put it in again... not pretty. It's mind effing me.

This is way longer than I intended. Basically, does anyone else use Cool Brewing's fermentation cooler? I like the concept, perfect for me space/money wise, but I looking for some feedback from those of you who have used it longer. It's like ambient temp - 11 to 15 degrees with ice + 5 to 15 for ferm = mind explosions.

Oh, and I'm using Notty. :D FWIW, the old 'airlock standard' showed it very active yesterday morning and slowing down now, not worth much I know. Still about 30 bubs a second. I just don't want the yeast to get sleepy too soon since I'm doing an IPA.

Get a cheap small aquarium temp gauge. tap a small section of foam on the side of your fermentor. put the probe between the foam and fermenter. This way you'll get a better handle if you need to go colder or warmer.

Looks like something I could handle. Based on your experience, what usually does it for you for a 64-68 range? I know there are other factors, just curious.

Edit: better question would be do you find their rule of thumb to be fairly accurate?

Its a good start. But is does change depending on the season and how much the temp where the cool brew is. I have 2 2 liters frozen and 4 medium ice packs "the hard plastic ones". 1 2 liter and two ice packs bring me in at 65.

How has fermentation been for you? I was thinking about getting a bag. Are you happy with it? Recommend? How much ice have you been using? Other general tips for use?

MedicMang said:
How has fermentation been for you? I was thinking about getting a bag. Are you happy with it? Recommend? How much ice have you been using? Other general tips for use?

I definitely recommend it. I set it up like BxBrewer showed above with folded up paper towel insulating the probe of an aquarium thermometer taped to the side. It's pretty darn accurate. Right now I'm fermenting a brown between 60-63 degrees and am using a gallon jug of ice I'm switching out every 24 hours or so. Also easy to clean and store.

Man, they should pay me for advertising! Anyway greatly helped my beer quality. Best thing short of a regulated fridge setup. Good luck!

Back