Converting Kegerator to Dual Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugadawg311

Reaction score
I'm a noob here trying to set up my first home bar. The previous owner left a kegerator with a single tap installed into the bar. However, I'd like to use two 1/6 barrel kegs instead of one 1/2 barrel. I purchased a dual tap tower that should arrive soon, but my question is, what additional parts will I need to set up the two kegs? Fortunately the previous owner left a lot of parts including two CO2 tanks, multiple lines, multiple regulators, etc.

Would I be better off using just one CO2 tank, or try using both? My only fear is that there is only one hole on the back of the kegerator to install the line to the tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is your tank mounted outside the kegerator? You can run a single line in, then use a "y" fitting to splt the line to feed two kegs. Unless you need very different pressures for your beer, you should be fine with a single regulator.

You'll need beverage line to run from your second keg to your second tap, and whatever keg side fittings you want for both the bev and gas lines (ball lock, pin lock, sanke, etc.) Then you just need to make sure you have the right length bev line to pour well. If the existing bev line from the single tap pours ok, you can just measure out the same length for the second.

HTH,
Rich

Yes, the current tank is in a cabinet next to the kegerator, and the second tank could easily go there too. I'm planning on having a bitter IPA and possibly something lighter - maybe a sour since my wife likes those, so I think I should be ok with the same pressure for both kegs.

I haven't been able to test the lines yet (I think the CO2 tanks are both empty), but I think the previous owner left everything set up when he moved out, so I assume the tube length should work fine.

As for the "y" fitting that you mentioned, will any CO2 splitter work for that?

Thank you!

A tee, wye, or manifold, with or without shutoffs, will all work fine.
I would replace the beer line(s) before hooking up a keg, and inspect/test the existing gas line for leaks, loose clamps, etc...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Can you please post a link to any tee, wye, or manifold that you'd recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks for the link. And 5/16 inch is the size I want right? (I assume that's the standard size.)

All my threaded dispensing system fittings are 1/4" MFL/FFL & NPT and with 1/4" barbs on the swivel nuts.
But I run 3/16" gas lines; traditionally 1/4" is more common, which favors 5/16" barbs...

Cheers!

I would bite the bullet and buy a dual-body primary regulator, or a dual-body secondary regulator. That's what I wound up doing in the end. That way you can set each tank's pressure independently. Most of the time, they stay at serving pressure, but when carbonating, it just makes things easier.

You've got some good advice hear so far. You need to break this down into segments, or it can become overwhelming to a newcomer into kegging.

You already have a way to store the cold kegs and your solving a way to serve them. Did your new tower come with faucets (taps if you will) and shanks? If not, you'll need those.

Working backwards, you will need beer line from the faucets to the kegs. I agree with the poster above that recommended replacing the existing beer line. There are calculators used to determine the length of beer line. I do not have one at my finger tips right now. I believe @day_trippr has one he recommended quite a bit.

Now you'll need a way to connect the beer line to the kegs. Do you have kegs yet. There are a few different styles used by the homebrew crowd. I use ball lock, there's pin lock and sanke as well. Do a little research to see what would be best for you.

Now you'll need a way to get the gas into the kegs. You could use one cylinder with a single regulator and a "Y", or you could use a manifold. To get 2 different pressures you could do a 2 body regulator on the cylinder, do a secondary regulator(s), or have 2 cylinders each with a regulator. I would seriously consider a dual body regulator on the cylinder as mentioned above (also called a primary regulator). There is probably going to be a day you want 2 different pressures. With just a single body regulator and a manifold or "Y" you are stuck to one pressure. This will also give you the ability to have a spare cylinder (which you'll end up using for closed tranfers and other things in the future, trust me)

I highly recommend using the MFL fittings as much as possible. They make moving things around a breeze.

Lastly, I've had great luck at Ritebrew.com. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but they have great prices and they shipping has been very fast for me.

Take it one section at a time and it will be easier to plan everything out.

Thanks for all the information everyone! This has been super helpful.

For now I went with a dual CO2 splitter and will just use one tank. In the future I'll likely get a 2 body regulator or just use both of the CO2 tanks I have. So now I've got the tank, the lines to run gas into the kegs, clamps, the CO2 splitter, and the dual tap (with beer lines). Now I just need to get the kegs and see if I can get this working. The thing that has caused the biggest hiccup so far is trying to find a place that will fill my 12 pound tanks. I thought I lucked out inheriting these from the previous homeowner, but it's turning out to be more of a pain than anything else!

I'll likely need to find a gas supplier nearby as the local paintball and homebrew stores only fill up to 5 pound (some 10 pound) tanks.

Not sure where you're located, but you can also look for a fire extinguisher service company. They should have a bulk CO2 storage tank and fill any size by weight.

Not sure where you're located, but you can also look for a fire extinguisher service company. They should have a bulk CO2 storage tank and fill any size by weight.

Hmm didn't think of that. There a couple fire equipment places nearby that I could try. Thanks for the tip!

Now I found out that both of my keg couplers don't have hose barbs for the CO2 line. I have one line with a hex nut on it, but I need another to connect the second keg. Is there any workaround here?

Back