Converting Igloo Cooler to Mash Tun Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came across a free 5 gallon IGLOO orange round cooler for free. Just in time for my switch to all-grain. I plan on buying a 10 gallon rubbermaid next week to mash and plan on using this free cooler as a HLT.

I searched online for a conversion parts list and was obviously really successful. Then, I get home and realize that all these parts don't fit and that they are converted for RUBBERMAID coolers...

Any help with parts/sizes so I can make this thing work. Im desperate.

P.s. Im horrible mechanically so for me to just figure it out myself is almost impossible.

Save the parts for you 10g mash tun.

You might need to drill the igloo and install a bulkhead. I like what I got from bargainfittings.com

I just made the same conversion with a 5 gallon igloo i found at a garage sale. Assuming you used Fly Guy's mas tun conversion, all parts will work. The difference is that the rubbermaid grommet will firmly hold the brass nipple (Watts A-786) but the igloo will not.

I ended up using 2 flat rubber hose washers on each side (inside the cooler and outside the cooler) of the nipple. These washers are flat, rubber and reddish in color. They are typically used for garden hoses and sprinklers. The washers will hold the nipple in place and you can tighten up with the fender washers, ball valve and barb adapters just like the rubbermaid conversion.

I have tested this and it works fine....watertight.

If you are just using it as a HLT, you dont need a filter or a braided hose or anything. You will only need to add a ball valve to it. If you are not as handy, or mechanical as you put it, you can simply take your cooler into your local hardware store and just tell them that you need to replace the 'spiggot' that is on the cooler with a ball valve. They can direct you to whatever size will work, or tell you what you need to do to get it to work. You should be able to convert the cooler for under $20

Everything worked it was just loose, even when tightened to full capacity. I will get some hose washers (actually almost picked them up yesterday!) and hopefully that will work. Im assuming 5/8 would be the appropriate size?

5/8 will work. If you are using the Igloo 5 gal for a HLT only you could also use the spigot off your bottling bucket and save the parts you have bought for the rubbermaid.

Back