Converting Extract to BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
I've researched a bit about converting from extract to grain, but I think I'm a bit lost. How would I convert a recipe using 3 lbs wheat and 1 lb light DME for 3 gallons to BIAB?

Wheat DME is a blend of base malt (probably a two row brewers malt) and wheat malt; the ratio varies based on the brand, let's assume it's 50% wheat & 50% base malt.

Light DME is probably a "two row brewers malt".

Let's assume that DME is 44 gravity points per pound.

Let's assume that your BIAB efficiency is 75%. Each of the malts will yield 27 gravity points per pound.

3# of wheat DME is 66 gravity points of wheat malt (3 * 44 * 50%) and 66 gravity points of light DME.

You need 66 gravity points of wheat malt and 110 gravity points (66 + 44) of "brewers malt".

66 / 27 ==> roughly 2.5 lb of wheat malt

110 / 27 ==> roughly 4.0 lb of base malt.

Great! Thanks! I think the part I'm unsure about is how to find out exactly what constitutes the various varieties of DME.

Get yourself Beersmith and you'll be able to take the gravity numbers and easily convert things yourself.

I'm still using Beersmith 2.0 which is cheaper and doesn't require annual payments.

It does all I want.

Latest posts

Back