Converting an oxygen bottle to CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brkoerner

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knows if its possible and if so how to convert this oxygen bottle into a CO2 bottle

e4OeA

5yv5M

here are the links since they dont want to load
http://imgur.com/e4OeA

http://imgur.com/5yv5M

to clarify what I meant was is there any way to change out the valve thing on the top of it for the kind that is on a co2 bottle. cuz I remember reading some where about converting an old co2 fire extinguisher to a co2 bottle that could be used

to clarify what I meant was is there any way to change out the valve thing on the top of it for the kind that is on a co2 bottle. cuz I remember reading some where about converting an old co2 fire extinguisher to a co2 bottle that could be used

Maybe, but if so it has to be done by a certified place, and then has to be hydro tested and stamped, all of which will cost a substantial amount of money, if it can even be done with that tank, which I doubt. If you try to do it yourself, and the tank doesn't have the appropriate markings, nobody in their right mind will fill it or swap it for you. You'll likely be better off selling that to someone who wants to use it as an O2 tank, and then using that money to buy a CO2 tank.

But in your example you are converting a co2 bottle to a co2 bottle. Without doing the research I would imagine it would be hard/impossible to find a co2 valve with a thread that would go into a o2 bottle. They do that on purpose to stop poeple doing it (I think going the otherway co2->o2 would be more dangerous as o2 is a compressable gas = higher pressures)
The other point is the design standards for a co2 bottle and o2 bottle will mostly not be the same so that even if you get a valve that fits no one will hydrotest/cert it for co2 because it is not built to the correct stadard.
As mentioned above the easiest way to convert it is to sell it and buy a second hand co2 cylinder :D

Just had another thought; try talking to a place that does bottle swaps, they might be willing to just swap an empty(?) o2 bottle for a full co2 as if it was just a co2. Never hurts to ask.

Back