Converting 2 Kegs, one thread for questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
So, I am about to start converting 2 kegs into electric HLT and Boil Kettle.

I know I will have several questions about this process, so I wanted to post one thread to hold them all.

Thanksin advance for all the help.

1st question: Will these work for the holes? Step Bits

Last edited by a moderator:
if you plan on going the soldering route or tig welding those bits are to small. it says the largest size bit in the collection is 3/4" thats to small for a 1/2" coupling. if you want a bit that goes to 7/8".

I am not sure what size you need for a weldless bulkhead though.

-=Jason=-

So, it is going to be a slow build, work and life will dictate the pace. But i figured I would need hep as I go along so I am starting this thread. I will link all questions back to this post to make it simple and maybe help others. So, let's get started shall we?

Step 1: converting 2 kegs into electric HLT and Boil Kettle.

1st question: Will these work for the holes? Step Bits

2nd question: what blades for a reciprocating saw should i get?

Tim

if you plan on going the soldering route or tig welding those bits are to small. it says the largest size bit in the collection is 3/4" thats to small for a 1/2" coupling. if you want a bit that goes to 7/8".

I am not sure what size you need for a weldless bulkhead though.

-=Jason=-

Instructions saw 7/8 for weldless, so those bits are out, back to the search.
Thx

Tim

Next question.

I wanted to get the 50qt Igloo Cold Max for my mash tun. But it seems that here at my local Army Exchange only has the 36 or 70. I use a 40qt now so I think the 36 will be fine and I think the 70 will leave the grain bed to shallow.

So wold the 36 be ok? I will only probably brew 5 gallon batches, and I batch sparge.

Thanks

Ok, Next question

What weldless stuff do I need for the BK and for the HLT?

I was thinking, Bulkhead with valve and barb, sight glass and Thermometer, and dip tube for both.

Tim

what you "NEED" and want are two entirely different things.

did I need keggles, Chugger pump, Silicone Tubing, 3 piece balls valves, 4 keg keezer all before my first brew?

its entirely up to you. I do not have a sight glass "YET" or a thermometer installed in my keggle yet.

-=Jason=-

Just used the 2 pk step bits from Harbor Freight and they (actually only used 1) worked beautifully! Drilled 12 holes 13/16" and could have done many more. I used a cobalt drill bit to make my pilot hole. Just go slow, good pressure, and use lots of cutting oil. Go this way and it cuts like butter.

Off Topic question.

Anyone ever use the heavy duty plastic shelves for 3 tier brew rig?
Seeing that I am going to be using and electric boil kettle, cold I place it on a plactic shelf?

Tim

Elements arrived in the mail today, waiting on hardware and bits and blades.
Picked up the shelving, and some wood shelves to use to displace some of the heat.

The shelves are plug and play, so tomorrow or the next day I will fool around and get them set up. I should have enough free space to mount my Barley Crusher, I plane on sutting a hole in the shelf and placing a bin under it for the milling station.

Also, I have decided on a simple Pale Ale as the first brew.

Tim

For my weldless e-keggle I used:
Bit for small holes - http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html I only used the smaller bit and it made 10 holes no problem. I didn't use a pilot hole, just started with the step bit. Just make sure you follow procedure. Cutting oil, good pressure, low speed.
Punch Kit for element hole - http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-91201.html
I used the 2nd largest punch and silver soldered the SS locknut to the keg. The hole it makes MIGHT be too large for a weldless kit. I didn't test it and couldn't find anyone who had. It makes the hole about 1/8" bigger than Kal does for his kettles on http://theelectricbrewery.com

For weldless kits I used:
Bulkheads - http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_35_46&product_id=147
Sightglasses - http://brewhardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61:weldless-sight-kit-wthermometer-4ezst-240&catid=36:weldess&Itemid=60

You could just order it all from one place or the other really. The only thing Bobby doesn't sell is the locknut, but his sightglasses come with vinyl numbers which are nice and worth the 2 orders for me.

A note on rust. If you want to put water in your e-keggles the night before or leave it in there for cleaning or w/e, you need to protect the element bases from rust. I am dealing with this now and have no proven suggestion just yet. I am going to put aluminum anodes from McMaster in to see if they take care of it. I also ordered an aluminum bushing for my RIMS tube

Alu disc part# - 3590K2
Alu bushing part # - 44705K394

Thx for the info.
I have ordered my sightglass/thermo set up and the weldless kit with vales and such already, just waiting for them to arrive.

Also, I will be forced to cut the kep with a saw, and have ordered the bi-metal blades as well as step bits for the holes, again waiting on them to arrive.

Las piece of the puzzel will be the element controller, need analog, I refuse to use themocouples...lol. But I ahve sourced that as well. waiting on more money.

Mail is slow to APO sometimes, but most of the stuff is already on the way. And I should order the controller in the next week. Want to be brewing by March.

Tim

Ok, so I am still waiting on my SS parts to get here in the mail.

I picked up a new Mash Tun this weekend, and need to convert it. Toying with the idea of doing a hybrid manifold. Want to make a manifold but instead of cutting or drilling the tubes, thought about just using SS braid, and connecting it to the elbows and T's.

Thoughts???

Tim

Ok, so I am still waiting on my SS parts to get here in the mail.

I picked up a new Mash Tun this weekend, and need to convert it. Toying with the idea of doing a hybrid manifold. Want to make a manifold but instead of cutting or drilling the tubes, thought about just using SS braid, and connecting it to the elbows and T's.

Thoughts???

Tim

I actually like the idea. I do not know how effective it will be but it is def creative. Try it and let us know...

manifold.png

My idea would look something like this

Things have been moving forward at a seady but slow rate.

Have the brewspace set up, need to re-enforce it a bit.
New 60qt Maxcold Mashtun, still need to build the hybride screen manifold.
Stirplate circuit arrived, i screwed itup while soldering it, so new one is on the way
Orders 4 sets of Quick Disconnects
ordered all my bulkheads, valves, themometrs, sightglass, and diptubes ( waiting on the postoffice)
ordered 10ft silicone tubing...

I am waitng on an email from High Gravity to make sure we are on the same page about wiring my Electric Kettle Controller, and It should be ordered today or tomorrow.

Now, I just need some time to actually start the install of the various items, and time to prep and cut / drill the kegs.

Tim

Yup bobby sells them, but if you aren't ordering anything else, he prefers you don't just buy those. HBF has what you need if you don't need to order any thing else from bobby.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a cobalt 1/4" bit for making pilot holes for the step bits. They cut through stainless like it's butter. I got the Ace Hardware brand one for like $3.49.

Yup bobby sells them, but if you aren't ordering anything else, he prefers you don't just buy those. HBF has what you need if you don't need to order any thing else from bobby.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a cobalt 1/4" bit for making pilot holes for the step bits. They cut through stainless like it's butter. I got the Ace Hardware brand one for like $3.49.

+1 on the cobalt! Holy crap I couldn't believe how well those cut, after using trash drill bits my whole life! Haha. Little cutting oil and it goes right through.

How are things going? I started my brew stand build about 2 weeks ago, and I am building a 2 tier stand with 3 keggles. The HLT is raised for a gravity sparge along with a march pump to transfer the fluids from the other keggles. I found bargainfittings, brewhardware, ebay, and amazon to be great resources to find supplies for my setup. I am using a LP system with 23 tip burners rather than the electric element system you are going with. Amazon has the best price on high temp tubing in 25'+ lengths and I found a great deal on quick connections from bargainfittings to make connecting to various keggles and pumps a quick undertaking. I currently have a ic for chilling, but I am considering doing a cfc that I found on http://www.suebob.com/index.php?opt...ler-build&catid=37:hardwareprojects&Itemid=64. I figured I would share some of the similar information you may be interested in since I am at the same position in our builds. I am actauly heading out to restart my polishing of my keggles (not sure how important it is, but it sure looks cool, but it takes a good 3 to 4 hours each and around $10 per keggle with the way I found to work with a 6" edge buffing wheel, blending compound, polishing compound, and 80 grit sand paper on a power sander) enjoy the adventure. The build is nearly as fun as the brewing.

I am going out this weekend looking for something to use with my car buffer to polish up the kegs, and I hope to at least get the tops off of them tomorrow. Still waiting on all my hardware to get here so I can install it. Also will make some braces to add some strength to the shelves.

I did mount my barley crusher yesterday, so there is some progress, but I am stuck waiting on the mail to reach me at my APO.

Tim

I saw a lot of options for cutting out the tops, but I found that I used a 4 1/2" diamond blade cut through it like butter with an angle grinder. I guess it depends on what you have to use. I have not made the purchase of a grain mill, which one did you go with? I am also trying to figure out my method for straining grains. I am considering building a system similar to a bazooka screen, but not sure yet. Good luck...

Went with a Barley Crusher I love it. After I am up and running, I will mount a motor for it, got a great idea from another thread on the board....

as for the mash tun, I will be using a "Hybrid" manifold. 2 SS braids connected with copper U shaped ends. I was hoping that my fittings from Weldless would be here today so I cold have it with me when I go shopping for the parts to make it. Living in Europe everything is metric, so I like to have the stuff with me so I can fit test in the store.

I also just now, like 5 min ago, ordered my Electric Kettle Controller from High Gravity. These guys have been amazing, and have put up with almost a weeks worth of emails from me, asking all sorts of silly questions.

Looks like I will have to wait until next week to actually start building, as non of my parts made it in today, but I will still cut the lids this weekend, and polish up the kegs.

oh, and I have to use a 18v cordless reciprocating saw to cut the kegs.

Tim

You might want to find a die grinder or an angle grinder if you can. Think hours and hours od problems if you try with a saws all. good luck though...I am heading out to finish welding my stand and to start running my gas lines....I have to bottle a batch of Double Head IPA this evening so I have a time limit....

I would definitely recommend purchasing a $45 angle grinder. Not only will it work great for cutting the top of the keg, but for polishing them too.

Yes, going to have to get on on Monday, the saw is cutting well, but I can only get about 3 inches per battery....

And I seem to have burned up my step bit on the first hole...POS!!!

Tim

Yes, going to have to get on on Monday, the saw is cutting well, but I can only get about 3 inches per battery....

And I seem to have burned up my step bit on the first hole...POS!!!

Tim

I really think that you would be better off getting a cheap angle grinder from harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-91223.html Really this stuff is easy with the right tools and techniques.

As for the step bit, since you say you burnt it up, then you weren't using it properly. If you are going full speed with your drill when using the step bit, then you are heating the stainless and work hardening it. Consequently, this will burn up ANY step bit you use, including the $50 greenlee ones. I have used the same small step from this two pack from harbor freight for about 20 holes in kegs and it still slices through the kegs like butter. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

1. Get a 1/4" cobalt bit for making a pilot hole for the step bit. These cobalt bits tear through stainless like it's butter, making it much easier to start your step bit. Use cutting oil, or some type of lube for the pilot hole.
2. With the step bit, use cutting oil, good pressure and low RPMs.
3. After each step or every other step on the step bit, stop, re-lube, and repeat.

Just for an idea of the time savings. With an angle grinder, ss cutting disc and jig, you can cut the top off a keg in about 10 minutes or less. With the proper techniques using step bits, you can drill a 7/8" hole in about a minute.

I didn't use my step bits properly, because I went through three of them for 9 holes. Basically one step bit per keg. Just glad I'm done with that part.

I didn't use my step bits properly, because I went through three of them for 9 holes. Basically one step bit per keg. Just glad I'm done with that part.

I got the same two pack of step bits from Harbor Freight also... I only used the smaller bit, made a total of 12 holes 13/16" in diameter, and I think I could make many many more holes with the same bit. Trick is to make the starter hole, go SLOW, and apply good pressure, and use a **** load of cutting oil. I got the spray can from Harbor Freight, comes out in a foam. Works great!

:mug:

Guess I just repeated what bbognerks just said. Haha. I followed Bobby_M's guide for the angle grinder jig, and it took me less than 5 minutes per keg, and finished with perfect circles. But... get a few disks if you are going to go this rout, I got the think Dewalt cutoff disks from Lowes, and burnt through about one per keg. Good thing they are inexpensive!

I will buy a grinder locally on Monday, everyting in Brussels is closed on Sundays. I will also buy a new step bit, I can get them local too, maybe a bi-metal hole saw not sure.

My saw was really eating through the top, but my batteries are old so they gave out. and I blew the fuse in my 220 to 110 transformer that the charger was on...everything was working against me today...lol

It all good you cant keep a good brewer down, and I am off Monday so I will have all day to work....

Tim

Good luck you will appreciate it. To polish your kegs I would suggest using sand paper with a buffer or even cheaper an orbital sander....use 80 grit...followed by 120 grit...followed by your new angle grinder with a 6" buffing wheel used for stand grinders (you will have to remove your guard but this is a cloth buffing wheel and is farely safe) use two coats of polishing compound...the first being a smoothing compound...the second being a fine polish compound...I hope this helps, I experimented and wasted more than $50 us on different options...the sandpaper and polishing compounds give the best finish. Have some goof off or paint thinner to remove sticker adhessiv.es...that will save your sand paper....good luck...ps I am going back out to paint my frame of my brewstand before adding the LP gas fittings for the burners....finaly.

I just cut two keg tops today with the PVC jig type thing, took me longer to cut out the pvc and zip-tie that to my gringer handle then it did to cut the kegs, only about a 1/4 inch or less off the cutting wheel after two kegs. changed that out for a flap disk and sanded the edges smooth. As in my first keg i plan to add a few washers (three) to the part cut out and use it as a lid. the grinder worked great.

TTIWWP

(this thread is worthless without pictures!)

Seriously, hope you're taking pix of your progress so you can show us. Can't wait to see it all come together.

Cheers.

I will start on monday, only thing i have done is put up the heavy duty plastic-ish shelves to asct as the structure for the brew space...and drilled a few hols to mount the Barley Crusher....but pics are and will be in order soon.

Tim

I will try to get some photos tommorow...I know the photos help...I will get some of my two tier stand and my polishing progress....

Back