Convertible NG/LP Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

63belair

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations for a burner that is convertible between NG and LP. I'm currently up in Edmonton AB for the next 2 years for work, and my apartment has a free NG hook up on the balcony. As you may or may not be aware, Edmonton gets seriously chilly in the winter, so output is a bit of a concern for me. I'm looking for burners that are convertible because I do not anticipate having a NG hook up at my next residence.

Do any of you have any suggestions for burners that would be a good fit for my situation?

I found this one from Williams, but if anyone else has suggestions I would be more than glad to hear them.

Cheers!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-STOVE-P2213C87.aspx

My NG pressure is described as 4 inches of water column. The pressure will affect the performance of the burner. I have not found a burner that the specs indicate will operate on this pressure and boil 12 g in a reasonable amount of time. If you specify your pressure and how much you want to boil that might be helpful.

It has been a while since I looked or asked. Maybe someone will reply and answer both of our questions.

With the 10" burner shown, conversion is as easy as replacing the brass valve on the burner air inlet. You need both the propane version jetted for 13" WC propane for that fuel, and a NG valve jetted for natural gas at 4" -6" Wc pressure. When the pressure is dropped, the air flow and fire size drop, but as a number of brewers have found, the burner has enough flame to get the job done on either fuel.

I use the hurricane burner you linked in both NG and LP modes. At home (most of the time), I make use of NG but occasionally I brew at a friends and use LP with a regulator. For the hurricane, the on/off valve and orifice are one piece. Just screw it out and screw the other in. It works great in both modes. I've preached about this setup several times. I'm sure if you searched my username with hurricane, you'd find several of my posts about it.

Back