Conversion Efficiency Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I have 11 batches in on my new RIMS system and wanted to work up what I have been getting for my Conversion Efficiency. I used three different formula's that I found.

The first one I used was Braukaiser which an be found here: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency#Measuring_conversion_efficiency

The other two I found are from Mark at pricelessbrewing, one uses Plato and other just original gravity points and each can be found here: https://pricelessbrewing.github.io/methods/Efficiency/

I inputed each formula into an excel spreadsheet to ensure consistency across them and populated that data. What confused me actually was how much the numbers can change. I used three different batches so far, a 3G Marzen, 5G Wheat, and 5G Stout.

Below I posted a screenshot of the outcomes of each beer. The consistency of each formula seems to be off to me. If formula 3 produces the highest conversion percentage listed for beer 1, come Batch 3 it is now the least percentage shown. I am not sure why...I though although they were different then the other formula's, they would be similar in order of what they were saying from Batch to Batch.

Thanks in advance for any input.

For the Marzen:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 3.31.17 PM.png

For the Wheat:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 3.32.48 PM.png

For the Stout:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 3.35.53 PM.png

Something is off, and without having access to the actual spreadsheet you used it is not possible to say what. I know for a fact that Priceless' calculations have been compared to braukaiser's, and the results for all three are essentially identical. I worked with Priceless on his original implementation of the efficiency calculations, and my work that Priceless used was based on Kai's. We did a fair amount of work to validate the correctness of the formulas. This implies that there are problems with your implementation of the formulas, or your inputs to the spreadsheet.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the reply. I will take a batch of beer and work it out by hand for all three and post what I did and hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

Found one error in my implementation. Kept going and worked out by hand each efficiency. Definitely closer as one came in at 94% and other 91%. Am sure there are a few more errors somewhere I am not seeing and figured I would post it here to see what you can catch.

Thanks a lot again for taking the time to help work it out.

IMG_0099.JPG

Latest posts

Back