Controlling Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycleguy04

Reaction score
I saw a method on Youtube of carbonating root beer with yeast by bottling with seven "grains" of dry yeast per bottle. Would this method be reliable? Is there a way of calculating how much yeast I should use by taking a specific gravity reading and crunching numbers with the volume?

Your talking root beer here so i dont know how specific gravity will help. your not making alchahol beverage. 7 grains of yeast will carbonate it, but you need to get that into a cool fridge as soon as it hits its optimal carbonation level or youll be blowing s^$T UP!

youll have to check a bottle every 12 -24 hours untill it is to your likeing and then chill it to like 33 degrees or so. 32 is freezing so dont go any lower than that.

my 2 cents worth of info!

Would putting the root beer in the fridge STOP the fermentation until it is brought back up to room temperature or will it still be active, but at a much slower rate?

Would putting the root beer in the fridge STOP the fermentation until it is brought back up to room temperature or will it still be active, but at a much slower rate?

Slower rate. A rule of thumb is that chemical reaction rates double for every increment of 10 degrees C. (18 degrees F.).

I always batch-pitch and then bottle immediately, if I'm carbonating with ale or wine yeast.

Wont putting the yeast carbonated water into fridge stop the fermentation process? So, better put it outside and wait for optimal fermentation to achieve and then keep it inside the fridge..

Well, I decided kegging would be a much easier route than having to pasteurize the bottled root beer to stop fermentation (very risky). What I'm going to do is leave the keg out in the cold garage and take it with me to the Christmas parties I'm going to this year and leave it out in their cold garage for people to tap from whenever they please.

It'll actually be much easier that way.

Back