Controller - Stainless Enclosure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

I originally was going to buy a prebuilt controller for my EBIAB build but it turns out my dad is pretty handy with electronics. I want to build a nice looking controller similar to that found here:

https://www.groundedbrewingtechnologies.com/products/30a-biab-control-panel

Mine will be for a 15amp outlet. Any idea where I can get an enclosure like that for a decent price?

All the Best.
Not sure if you realize this but with a 15amp outlet your going to be limited to like 3 gallon brews or possbily 5 gallons if you insulate and partially cover the kettle... 15 amp at 120v is only good for a single 1500w-1800w element unless im missing something... most people use 2000w on a 20a gfci outlet or 2 1500w elements plugged into separate circuits or go with 4500w or 5500w 240v systems which are most common.. If your just using a single 1800w element you dont even need a controller, just something with an on off switch since the element will be on at 100% power all the time and even then producing a weak boil (again Unless your brewing small batches)

Places like Grainger's, McMaster Carr, Automation Direct carry SS electrical panels, but your not going to like the price! I would go with a normal panel and use the saved $$ for brew gear.

You need to power it with 2 separate 15a plugs and power them off separate breakers then. The simpler thing will be to just plug one element in and maybe control it with a switch and use temp control with the other element.

Hey,

Yeah that was my plan. Use a controller for 1 of the elements and a pump and then just simply plug in the other element on a different GFCI circuit and then unplug when I reach Mash temp. I would then do the same thing for the boil. I am just looking for info to build my controller. Been reading lots, as theres lots to learn lol!

Hey,

Yeah that was my plan. Use a controller for 1 of the elements and a pump and then just simply plug in the other element on a different GFCI circuit and then unplug when I reach Mash temp. I would then do the same thing for the boil. I am just looking for info to build my controller. Been reading lots, as theres lots to learn lol!
take a look at the mypin td4 if your trying to keep it economical... the ezboil unit by auber is pretty nice but costs an extra $20-30... I have both and eventually my desire to tinker and improve led me to switch to an arduino based system that uses brucontrol software.. it controls everything from my pumps to my heating and cooling of my fermenters through a windows pc and touchscreen.

stay away from the cheap white fotek clone ssrs they have a high failure rate.

I have had great luck with these https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSR-DA-DD-...hash=item5204306322:m:mMaDaEPdywpjBdBXNBMBuiA the Mager and berme as well as the auber ssrs are from the same manufacturer as these.

I love these probes.. the telfon cable is way better than the stainless braided ones.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-...497101?hash=item2879f082cd:g:LxEAAOSwL35cktCG

take a look at the mypin td4 if your trying to keep it economical... the ezboil unit by auber is pretty nice but costs an extra $20-30... I have both and eventually my desire to tinker and improve led me to switch to an arduino based system that uses brucontrol software.. it controls everything from my pumps to my heating and cooling of my fermenters through a windows pc and touchscreen.

stay away from the cheap white fotek clone ssrs they have a high failure rate.

I have had great luck with these https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSR-DA-DD-...hash=item5204306322:m:mMaDaEPdywpjBdBXNBMBuiA the Mager and berme as well as the auber ssrs are from the same manufacturer as these.

I love these probes.. the telfon cable is way better than the stainless braided ones.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-...497101?hash=item2879f082cd:g:LxEAAOSwL35cktCG

Thanks for all of that. I will look into the mypin and see what it is all about. I want to keep things simple for my first build and will probably stick with a PID but who knows.

Yeah I was reading a bunch yesterday about different electronic components and heard that the footer SSRs blow. People were recommending Crydom SSR's.

I will look into the teflon probes. I will need a 1.5 TC one.

Thanks for the help. Gotta keep reading about this electronic stuff and maybe in a month I will feel like I could build a controller haha.

Oh yeah cheapest price I could find on a SS NEMA 4x enclosure 16 x 12 x 6 was $130. Pretty good find I think unless you go to aliexpress and deal with that (I have never used alibaba or aliexpress). I see a few people taking time and money on here to upgrade their control panel look and functionality so I would rather just pay one and do it the way I want it done.

Cody

Thanks for all of that. I will look into the mypin and see what it is all about. I want to keep things simple for my first build and will probably stick with a PID but who knows.

Yeah I was reading a bunch yesterday about different electronic components and heard that the footer SSRs blow. People were recommending Crydom SSR's.

I will look into the teflon probes. I will need a 1.5 TC one.

Thanks for the help. Gotta keep reading about this electronic stuff and maybe in a month I will feel like I could build a controller haha.

Oh yeah cheapest price I could find on a SS NEMA 4x enclosure 16 x 12 x 6 was $130. Pretty good find I think unless you go to aliexpress and deal with that (I have never used alibaba or aliexpress). I see a few people taking time and money on here to upgrade their control panel look and functionality so I would rather just pay one and do it the way I want it done.

Cody
the panel in my avatar picture was under $300 total to build.. its all about where you buy the stuff and how fancy you want to get. I used a plastic enclsure for $38 at home depot on that one.

Latest posts

Back