Controlled Hydrodynamic Cavitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maierhof

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up on this, and would love to talk with these guys someday.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/p...e-an-entire-step-of-the-beer-brewing-process/

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602464/this-technology-is-about-to-revolutionize-beer-making/

https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.06629
(see below)

Cornell University Library
Physics > Biological Physics
Beer-brewing powered by controlled hydrodynamic cavitation: Theory and real-scale experiments

Lorenzo Albanese, Rosaria Ciriminna, Francesco Meneguzzo, Mario Pagliaro
(Submitted on 21 Sep 2016 (v1), last revised 27 Nov 2016 (this version, v2))
The basic beer-brewing industrial practices have barely changed over time. While well proven and stable, they have been refractory to substantial innovation. Technologies harnessing hydrodynamic cavitation have emerged since the 1990s' in different technical fields including the processing of liquid foods, bringing in advantages such as acceleration of extraction processes, disinfection and energy efficiency. Nevertheless, so far beer-brewing processes were not investigated. The impacts of controlled hydrodynamic cavitation, managed by means of a dedicated unit on a real microbrewery scale (230 L), on the beer-brewing processes is the subject of this paper. The physico-chemical features of the obtained products, analyzed by means of professional instruments, were compared with both literature data and data from the outcomes of a traditional equipment. Traditional processes such as dry milling of malts and wort boiling becoming entirely unnecessary, dramatic reduction of saccharification temperature, acceleration and increase of starch extraction efficiency, relevant energy saving, while retaining safety, reliability, scalability, virtually universal application to any brewing recipe, beer quality, were the most relevant experimental results. The impacts of these findings are potentially far reaching, beer being the worldwide most widely consumed alcoholic beverage, therefore highly relevant to health, environment, the economy and even to local identities.
Comments: 37 pages, 8 figures
Subjects: Biological Physics (physics.bio-ph)
Journal reference: Albanese L, Ciriminna R, Meneguzzo F, Pagliaro M, Beer-brewing powered by controlled hydrodynamic cavitation: Theory and real-scale experiments, Journal of Cleaner Production (2016), doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.11.162
DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.11.162
Cite as: arXiv:1609.06629 [physics.bio-ph]
(or arXiv:1609.06629v2 [physics.bio-ph] for this version)
Submission history
[v1] Wed, 21 Sep 2016 16:41:39 GMT (2490kb)
[v2] Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:51:57 GMT (3073kb)
Which authors of this paper are endorsers? | What is MathJax?)
Link back to: arXiv, form interface, contact.

"Paradigm Shift: The Movie" coming to a micro-synthesis plant near you...

Cheers! (It's a Brave New World. When's that Mars launch happening? ;))

Sounds fascinating. Now I need some time to do some heavy reading.

That'll be an interesting process development to follow for sure. There are already a ton of questions in my head about volatiles, tannins / husk remnants, etc. Besides, isn't brewing already a science experiment?

At least since it's using cavitation, it'll still be known as Suds though!

I'm still planting beer seeds the old fashioned way; and suffering the interminable waiting period for them to ripen! :( Fortunately, I learned home canning a long time ago - so i always have some preserved to get me through the growing season:cask:

Back