Controling foam with kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
I got my keg, carbonated it, hooked it up and all was good. I took my temp controling unit out and relied on the fridge thermostat for temperature control and now am getting a little less than 50/50 foam to beer despite multiple PSI settings. Is there some basic rule of thumb with temp, PSI and foam?

I had it set to 42-43 degrees at 11-12 PSI and it was perfect. I am back about 41-44 degrees with about 9 PSI and it is still too much. Less PSI and it is painfully slow.

You have painfully slow pours at 9psi? That doesn't seem right. How long are your beer lines? Your temp/pressure settings sound fine. The only other solution is to balance your system. Most people have found that the magic number is 10' of 3/16 beer line. I have my keezer set at 40 degrees and serve at 12psi. I can pull a pint in about 10 seconds give or take. Perfect pours each time.

I'm going to slightly disagree with that calculation. I have read time and time again that with my setup with 40 degrees and 12psi, I'd need around 5-6 ft of line. I had 5 and had foaming issues. I went to 10' of 3/16 line and have had no issues since. Slightly slower pours than preferable, but it works perfectly. I pull a pint in less than 10 seconds. I have read that a lot of people have also had issues following the calculations. The solution, 10' of 3/16 beer lines fixed their issues. You could probably get away with a little less than 10' in most scenarios. However, the line costs about 50-60 cents a foot. So why not just spend 2 dollars more to ensure you have proper pours each time?

Back