Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kricks111

Reaction score
I have what looks like several quarter sized mold growing on my brew. What do I do about this? Do I have to start over?

You can expect krud and krap and krausen in a variety of configurations to float around on top of your beer. It's normal.

If you post some pictures we can help you to determine what it is. Yes, most likely is just krausen but it could actually be mold in which case you can rack the beer out from underneath. Post pics and describe your sanitation practices. Also, how many batches have you made and what is different that makes you think it is mold?

This is my first batch, I will try to get pics up soon. It looks like mold one would see growing on bread or something. Kinda fuzzy.

Yeah it is blue, I also checked my hydrometer reading and it was 1.055 after 2 weeks at room temperature. I didn't get an original hydrometer reading by the way. What are your thoughts?

Yeah it is blue, I also checked my hydrometer reading and it was 1.055 after 2 weeks at room temperature. I didn't get an original hydrometer reading by the way. What are your thoughts?

1.055? Was this an extract kit that you were brewing?

I'm wondering if 1.055 happens to be right around your OG, and that your yeast was dead (or you pitched at way too high of a temperature and killed them.)

Perhaps a quick run-down of the procedure you used might diagnose the problem.

99% of the time these questions are answered with "your beer is fine". This time I think the answer is your yeast didn't start for some reason. It also doesn't sound like wild yeast took over either.

Pitch some new yeast and see what happens or you can dump and start over.

Latest posts

Back