Contamination or too much gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exortus

Reaction score
Hello, I bottled my last batch of brown porter last sunday, everything looked fine inside the fermenter, I mean, there was no weird looks or smell, the taste was pretty good as well.
Today I took one bottle to take a look and noticed a strange body near the surface of the beer. I have never seen that in my previous batches, so I'm a little bit concerned.
I've done some research and I suspect of two things, either I used too much gelatin to clarify or this is dextran due to low quality primming sugar (shame on me).
I also suspected of pediococcus at first, but since the beer isn't thick I discarded that possibility.
So, have anyone ever seen that before? Any thoughts?

14956397_10210855884783222_6719654158043979247_n.jpg

14908189_10210856017986552_7339468415633336169_n.jpg

Are all bottles like that? I had gelatin effect the lower part of my bottles before, it looked like floating hop debris or something, not really sure how to explain it. :)

Are all bottles like that? I had gelatin effect the lower part of my bottles before, it looked like floating hop debris or something, not really sure how to explain it. :)

Not all of them, I'd say 70%.

I see, never seen it before frankly. But if it tasted ok i would drink it anyway lol And you never know maybe if you put them in the fridge for a week it might drop to the bottom.

I recently had a similar thing happen. I have been searching the internet and your photo is very close to what is in my gallon of chestnut beer. After adding gelatin a little blob with ropy strings, like a jellyfish, appeared floating on top of the beer. I decided to wait a couple weeks and it eventually dropped to the bottom. I have now bottled it being careful not to disturb it. I am hoping that it's just a blob of protein from hastily adding too much gelatin (and possibly doing the procedure wrong). I will try the beer out in a couple weeks and see if there are any ill effects :eek:

Here's a video of it after bottling:
https://youtu.be/vv1FVlLjVKs

Here's a top down photo when it was still floating:

IMG_2476.jpg

Back