Considering opening a homebrew store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you have some retail experience! You will be dealing with employees, customers, phone calls, vendors,book keeping, payroll, taxes, etc. also I hope your willing to work at least 70 hours a week.
The worst part is (assuming you have no employees) that you always have to work saturday. Thats standard retail. Plan on having no weekends ever. During Christmas season I was open on Saturdays and Sundays trying to get what I could get. I’ve been in IT forever working in a 24 x 7 operation trying to get off of working saturdays. I hate it.

1. Homebrewing "fad" has subsided.
2. Ingredient costs way up.
3. Plenty of competition from online suppliers.
4. Money is tight for a lot of people.
5. Razor-thin margins.

Opening a LHBS now would be a huge gamble. I live in a metro of almost 4 million, and we have only one--and that's merely a sideline for the company's equipment business. MW and NB closed up their retail stores for a reason.

Once you take a fun hobby and try to make it into a business it's no longer fun.

I know this is an old thread, but I can only agree with today's comments. In post-retirement just to keep busy I put in a couple days at the same store that gave me my start in the '90's. Last year, they celebrated their....50th anniversary. I couldn't believe it had been going that long. I found out the reason the original owner opened the store is because he has a small vineyard on his property and honest to god, wanted to find a way to get a conduit to winemaking supplies. That's what I was told a few weeks ago, anyway. Hard to believe someone would open any business for this reason but knowing the guy as I did, anything's possible. Anyway, he did well enough.

Cut to today. I am truly sad for the current owner, who worked for the original owner and bought the store sometime around 2018. I see it - many days, exactly right, maybe 150 bottle caps here, a yeast pouch there. Hours go by, and nothing. I had a restaurant that failed, and I can see this younger man's 1000 yard stare. It's downright scary and sad because I know those sleepless nights all too well.

Being a chef-owner has been burned out of me, which is a rare thing for me. Crazy thing is, I still have a sort of smoldering and entirely insane vision of a little British-oriented brewery somewhere in our beautiful countryside. It feels like I've forgotten everything. I've re-acquired all the books in my former beer library, including the "serious" British books (e.g., Briggs and Young), but my brain is not the same one of even a few years ago - memory and cognitive grasp has been dinged pretty well.

Mainly, my wife would not only divorce me, she'd murder me. So, probably not going to bring it up. Too much. 🤣

Not in a million years could I recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:
That last sentence is pure gold
In fairness, my hobby is brewing. Owning a homebrew store, as I have for the last 13 years, is brewing adjacent so I don't feel like I ruined my hobby at all. I still brew an average of once a month. It sure as hell beats a telecom desk job.

Back