Considering kegging: ball lock or pin lock and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im considering buying a fridge for the garage and delegating part of it as a kegerator. I was looking at pin lock kegs for the cost savings. Why do I see the preference being with ball lock kegs?

I think that any preference just has to do with the ones you already have. They have different posts, so it's easier to have all pin lock or all ball lock. A few years ago, there were mostly ball lock kegs for sale, so that's what many of us have.

The one thing I like better with ball locks is the pressure relief valve. But many pinlock kegs now for sale have one added, so they really are about the same.

Pin locks tend to be shorter and a bit wider and fit in the kegerator a bit differently. I prefer the shape of the pin locks for my upright fridge, as they are shorter and fit better. But we're talking about a few inches, so it really doesn't matter in the long run.

Yooper is 100%correct, most will pick one or the other and stick with it being the fittings are different and realistically pins are shorter by a few inches but the connects make up for that being they stick up higher the end result is they are one maybe 2 inches height difference but pins are more gurthy.
Make some cut outs of cardboard for the diameter of a pin lock as well as a ball lock keg(and make a few) place these in your fridge or keezer to determine how many you can fit in the space.

If you have a nearby buddy who also brews, I would favor whatever keg style that they have so you can share equipment. Alternatively, I would go with whatever is the better value. Check Craigslist, Alternative to alternatively, you can design your setup with MFL QD's and alternate between ball and pin depending on your needs.

you will probably get better deal on pin lock kegs. Adventures in Homebrewing has always had good selection and reasonable prices.

Here is a link to current offerings:https://www.homebrewing.org/Home-Brew-Kegs_c_223.html

You can see new ball lock normally $119 today on sale $75
Used ball lock normally $60 today on sale $49
Used pin lock normally $50 today on sale $35

Hmm all of these are good prices today...
Also they have some good values when you buy 4 at a time.

I've not seen new pin locks being offered anywhere.

I use ball locks because I was able to get 4 on the floor of my keezer. It is a GE 7CF chest freezer and I have to wedge the in pretty tight to get all four but none have to sit on the hump. With the fatter pin lock kegs I could only get 4 on the floor but would have easier time fitting one up on the hump. I recommend making your kegging decision at same time as you make your fridge decision.

@Yooper mentioned the Pressure Relief valve on the ball locks, that is handy, and yes you can get that for pinlocks but it is normally upcharge. The PRV fits on the lid and easiest is to get a lid with the PRV about $15.

The other concern with pin locks is you need a special tool for removing the posts. Here is what you need:
https://www.homebrewing.org/Pin-Lock-keg-socket-for-post-removal_p_627.html

If you lose that guy you won't find a quick spare at home depot so keep track of it.

Back