Conical technique when a recipe calls for 2 separate dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an IPA and the recipe calls for 2 separate dry hop additions. The first dry hop added at high krausen for 5 days and the second dry hop added after FG is reached for 3 days. No overlap of the two dry hops. My question is how best to remove the first dry hop material prior to injecting the second dry hop under co2 pressure through the dump valve using my yeast brink. This will only be my third time using the Conical and prior to that, I fermented in a glass carboy where I could see that the pellet hops by and large float until cold crashing. Since I assume the same will happen inside the conical, is it ok for me to cold crash for 2 days @ 35-40 degrees, dump the first dry hop material, and then raise the beer temperature to 60-65 degrees for the second dry hop addition followed by a final cold crash prior to kegging? Will this 20-30 degree temperature swing adversely affect the quality of the finished beer?

I've done the same as Kingmatt, though I tend to use a bag for both or at least the second addition of dry hops. I would think dropping and raising the temp like that would mess with the yeast and probably do more harm than good.

Will this 20-30 degree temperature swing adversely affect the quality of the finished beer?
Definitely, and it will take a lot more than just a couple of days for everything to settle. By then fermentation will have been severely affected. I wonder why there must be "no overlap"? It's not like the hop material from different additions is going to react with each other and the aromatic contributions from the first charge are already in the beer anyway...

Definitely, and it will take a lot more than just a couple of days for everything to settle. By then fermentation will have been severely affected. I wonder why there must be "no overlap"? It's not like the hop material from different additions is going to react with each other and the aromatic contributions from the first charge are already in the beer anyway...

Five days post high krausen and fermentation should be well finished.

I agree that there’s no reason to remove each round of hops before proceeding with the next.

Disagree on hops dropping out slowly, if they’re swollen pellets, they drop pretty fast with a 10F down swing.

I would say two things...

Don’t dry hop at high krausen, there is no need and honestly it doesn’t do anything but potentially harm fermentation and negatively affect your final beer. If you would like to add hops during fermentation wait until you’re 1-.5* plato from terminal.

-Yes if you have a conical and have the the ability to dump hops while pushing Co2 into the vessel you should do this. This is SOP for most breweries who add multiple dry hop additions, especially ones that add hops during fermentation. You don’t want yeast and hops sitting around for extended periods of time at the bottom of your conical. Yes not all of them will have dropped and no you don’t need to crash the vessel (nor would I) between additions. A lot of brewers prefer the profile of dry hopping at slightly colder temps (say 60-63) so you could lower temps to that and add your second addition as long as the beer is negative for diacetyl before you cool it.

Latest posts

Back