Conical Sizing Dilemma!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmahly

Reaction score
So I'm getting so close to purchasing a conical. Going with spike. But I'm torn on which size I should go with. I've got 20 gallon kettles. Technically I could do 15 gallons and go with a CF15. But.... 99% of my batches are 10 gallons. This is a huge investment and I'd hate to have regrets. Anyone else share my pain here?

I have an old 12 gal Blichmann conical and I typically brew 3 to 6 gal batches. I'm otherwise set up for 10 gal batches. I have experience no problems with having the extra fermenter capacity,but I wouldn't go overboard with the sizing. If you're brewing 10 gal batches, you'll need a bit more than 10 gal fermenter capacity, say 12 to 15 gal. Don't forget that you can't boil 20 gal in a 20 gal kettle.

I have a CF10 from Spike and plan on getting a second one for myself for xmas. I can get 12 gallons in it easy. My kettle is 20 and my MLT is 20 gallon as well. Works for me. You'll have to figure what works for you, but Spike is the best for sure

I also have a CF10 and I have no regrets. I mainly do 5 gallon batches with the occasional 10 gallon batch so my thought was to spend the extra $ for the CF10 instead of buying the CF5 and regretting not going bigger.

In your case you need to decide if the extra cost is worth it depending on how often you plan on a 15 gallon batch. Keep in mind that the CF10 has a max capacity of 14 gallons so you could ferment a batch larger than 10 gallons.

I went CF15 because I make my pilsner and cream ale in 15 gallon batches, most everything else is 10 gallon batches

Latest posts

Back