Conical-RIMS idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocketmon

Reaction score
This idea is simply replacing the Boil Kettle in Kettle-RIMS system by a conical fermenter. Therefore, it is C(Conical)-RIMS by replacing the K(kettle).

Conical Fermenter
○ SS conical fermenter. Big enough for boil volume. For 5 gallon batch, 7Gallon might be enough while 14 gal might be better.
○ Hot Rod from brewhardware.com

Using a general SS conical fermenter with a hot rod has the advantage of removing heating element in addition to lower cost. Being able to remove the heating element implies being able to brew another batch in another fermenter.

MLT
○ Any MLT that is big enough
○ Over-flow pipe or float-switch/auto-sparge
○ motorized stirrer/mixer.
Given the fact that the wort usually flows faster by pump than by gravity, it is important to throttle the flow of pump. Over flow pipe seems to be a better option if stirrer is deployed. Otherwise, flow switch or auto-sparge can be used.

Controller
Any controller that can be used in E-BIAB might do the job.

Brew procedure
1. Put water in fermenter, malt in MLT
2. Start to heat striking water.
3. When temperature reaches, start pump and stirrer for dough-in
4. Recirculate the wort, keep stirrer working intermittently during mashing
5. After Mash-out, stop stirrer but keep pump running for a while.
6. Stop pump to let wort drain to fermenter.
7. Start boil the wort.

Any suggestion? Which fermenter would you recommend of 5-gallon batch?

Did this ever end up working for ya? I'm about to try the same thing, big heat stick in a conical fermentor to boil in, ferment, carbonate, and serve from.

Did this ever end up working for ya? I'm about to try the same thing, big heat stick in a conical fermentor to boil in, ferment, carbonate, and serve from.

Yes.

I did BIAC(Brew in a conical) first, it is easier and simpler.
However, a small hole was burnt on the bag at the 3rd brew.
Therefore, a MLT was introduced.

It worked pretty good except an issue I knew but don't do anything for it: flow control. The flow from conical to MLT should be regulated so that MTL won't overflowed and the heating element in conical stays immersed. A solution is Auto-Sparge from Blichmann. I want to use float sensor with a relay but haven't implemented it.

Very cool, thanks for the pics - I tried using a 1000w bucket heater in 6gallons but it couldn't quite up to boiling, going to up to 5500w. I've also been thinking about ways to measure volume in the conical, wanted to avoid adding a site tube. I've tried ultrasonic sensors (don't work with steam), laser (don't work with liquid), and am trying infrared next (though I know that 99% won't work with clear liquid).

I have to use two 1500W to reach boiling.
If you use transparent tube, stop pump and the tube will be like sight glass if you mark the volume on the conical.

Back