Conical Owners: When do you make your first trub dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
When do you guys usually make your first trub dump? I have about 6 brews so far with my new conical, and I am not being consistent with my dumps. This current batch I waited about 8 days for my first dump, then did a second one at 10 days. Still not seeing any yeast drop, so I know there is still a good amount of trub left in the fermentor. Also, how many dumps do you also do in a typical IPA? I got a pliny clone getting close for dry hopping in mine right now.

What do you mean that you're still not seeing any yeast dropping? Are you sure you haven't thrown out the baby with the bath water, so to speak?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

no yeast yet... all trub. Kinda makes sense, right? Trub falls first, then the yeast drops and sits on top of it. I have done two dumps already, and its all trub... Non of that creamy, white yeasty goodness.

But, back to my question.. When do you make your first dump, and how many do you usually make?

I'd be pretty shocked if you're not throwing out yeast too. After 8 days my beer is usually pretty clear as most of the yeast has flocced out.

It was a big beer, so I have not even gotten all the trub out yet.. I am thinking the yeast has dropped, but its on top of the trub pile. I have done two dumps, and so far its all nasty.

Guess no one has a set trub dump schedule though.. so far 3 answers with no reply. Im new with the conical, so was just not sure

Sorry to not answer your question (I don't know the answer anyway) and sorry to kinda hijack the thread (but not sorry enough to not hijack).

Why does it matter? Is there a reason to hurry off the yeast/trub?

Just want to mention I am not criticizing at all. This isn't like answering the "when should I secondary" question with "you shouldn't", I just want to know why.

IF I had a conical, I'd do one dump at 3 weeks. Let the sludge poop out and as soon as it turns creamy, start collecting.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3s6GiS2fo#t=169[/ame]

Sorry to not answer your question (I don't know the answer anyway) and sorry to kinda hijack the thread (but not sorry enough to not hijack).

Why does it matter? Is there a reason to hurry off the yeast/trub?

Just want to mention I am not criticizing at all. This isn't like answering the "when should I secondary" question with "you shouldn't", I just want to know why.

+1

Just let it ride until you are sure it is done, let the chunk of trub dislodge itself, then collect like normal.

When I am in doubt if I have gotten all the trub and perhaps started dumping yeast I have just reracked a new beer on top of the rest. So far no signs of over pitching.

I have 3 conical and have done dumps all over the place time wise, personally I have not noticed any difference to my brews. I think the nature of a conical protects the beer from negative effects of trub as it nearly eliminates the direct contact I have noticed, always a yeast layer between the beer and trub,

now i don't bother anymore for at least the 2 week fermenting beers I do.

I do however always dump prior to kegging.

I think OP was posting with regard to harvesting the yeast, not throwing it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I usually make my first dump about 15-30 minutes after my morning coffee. The second one is usually around 200-230. Depending on lunch/dinner, I may or may not have a third dump after dinner/before bed.

I admire your regularity Sir:D:rockin::mug:

That's something I aspire to!

Okay here is what I do with mine. I do the first dump 4 hours after I rack out of the BK to the fermenter, and before I pitch my yeast. This gets rid of a lot of the hop gunk, and break material that settles to the bottom. If you leave this in for a few weeks it'll turn to thick mud that doesn't want to move when you dump it. Then I'll dump it again after my testing indicates fermentation is complete for harvesting yeast( time varies based on yeast and style and there will still be some yeast in suspension). I will either then wash or simple jar and save the yeast. If I'm lagering I'll dump once more after diacetly rest, before racking to keg for lagering. That's pretty much it. Its not complicated:)

Okay here is what I do with mine. I do the first dump 4 hours after I rack out of the BK to the fermenter, and before I pitch my yeast. This gets rid of a lot of the hop gunk, and break material that settles to the bottom. If you leave this in for a few weeks it'll turn to thick mud that doesn't want to move when you dump it. Then I'll dump it again after my testing indicates fermentation is complete for harvesting yeast( time varies based on yeast and style and there will still be some yeast in suspension). I will either then wash or simple jar and save the yeast. If I'm lagering I'll dump once more after diacetly rest, before racking to keg for lagering. That's pretty much it. Its not complicated:)

+1 From what I've read the cold/hot break material and hop sludge can be dumped fairly soon. If your dumping after day 8 your getting a lot of yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back