Conical or keg system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xben

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I currently ferment in buckets using a ferm chamber. My homebrew dream would be to upgrade to stainless "ss brewtech sytle" conical fermenter.

BUT, I'm now wondering if it would be a better idea to invest into a keg system.. something like a big chest freezer with few taps (5-6)..

The fermentation is fine into my buckets, so I don't think the beer will be better out of a conical.. and I would need to increase my ferm. chamber size as well.

Do you think the investment would reach approx. the same cost? And what about "non-money" benefits from each other?

thanks!

I like kegging more than my conicals. Filling and cleaning a keg is so easy. I only bottled 2 batches before I switched to kegs. To clean I just put on my home made keg washer and run cleaner threw them for 5-10 minutes, then after I clean them all I run star san for a few minutes, so easy. My main benefit to the conical is it's size,I brew 10 gallon batches. It's awesome at harvest yeast for next batch and to dump yeast. I go about 6 generations before I use new yeast. I have one in a upright freezer but am going to get a glycol system so I can eventually have 4 with out 4 upright freezers. I'm glad I went with kegging first. I probably wouldn't be still brewing if I had to bottle 100 beers every batch.

Kegs by far. Bottling is a reason people stop homebrewing, and I would assume bottling makes you like your fermentor less .... "uggggg, I have to bottle that batch this weekend." You don't hear keg folks say that. Also, nothing like a dry tap to get you psyched to brew another batch.

I think $300 is a good initial budget for keg system. Like anything else, you can go way over budget. With 5 or 6 taps, the kegs will run over that budget but you can add them over time if you don't want to make the full initial outlay.

I have a new CO2 tank, but I get mine refilled by a local paint ball shop that will give me back my tank. Look into that before buying something new as most shops just swap empty tanks for pre-filled used tanks. If that's the case, then avoid spending the $$ on a new tank.

I don't think you can get used corney kegs free anymore, they run $50 - $100 depending in their condition. $100 for a refurbished one from a reliable vendor. You may wish to consider some of the new kegs made for the homebrew market. Some folks take issue with the weld jobs, but I have no problems with mine.

If you are thinking 5 or 6 taps, keep in mind that mini kegs like the torpedo are reasonable priced, readily available and come in a variety of sizes. I like brewing, but if I had 240 pints in a keezer, I'd miss brewing while waiting to get through enough to make another batch. I haven't tried it with my torpedo kegs but they claim you can tap and stack their mini kegs to save space. Variety is the spice of life and if you are committing to a number of taps, why not allocate space for mini kegs for smaller experimental batches or ......

I have a 1.75 cannonball ball keg tapped with a porter from a local micro brewery I filled at growler station at my local beer distributor. I am sipping it right now.

While the freezer with a controller is certainly proven to work, I saw a DIY project where a guy removed the door from a mini fridge and framed up and built an insulated a cabinet to hold a number of kegs. While this was for lagering kegs, I see no reason why the framing couldn't be modified to add taps. I think you could get your hands on a used mini fridge for less money than the freezer, especially near a college town.

If you can dedicate some space (less kegs tapped) you can use it for lagering which opens up a whole another dimension .

A conical fermentor, IMO, really has one benefit, easy yeast harvesting, but refrigeration opens up a huge possibility of benefits that equate to a lot more enjoyment from this hobby.

Kegs baby, kegs! Then get the conical down the road. Kegged beer in your home is a true luxury that you will really enjoy. Plus no more bottling your batch, which for me was something I really didn't look forward to. Nothing like pulling a pint of your own well made home brew, immensely satisfying! :mug:

John

Kegs... conicals, IMO, are quite overrated... I had one and got no benefits from it over the SSB brew buckets I replaced it with. I overbuild starters so harvesting wasn't a benefit to me... the brewbuckets have a conical bottom so racking is easy too.

Now kegs... geez... all you have to say about those is... NO MORE BOTTLING!!!

EDIT: The opinion above changes for larger batch sizes since lifting/moving any fermenter for racking becomes harder/dangerous/impossible as the weight increases!

Ok, I'm just piling on here, but... KEGS!!!

Yet another side benefit that hasn't been mentioned: YOU CAN FERMENT IN CORNIES
Just get a blowoff, or better yet, a spunding! Either here or here and you're good to go!

Back