Conical from moonshinedistiller.com?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlinyTheMiddleAged

Reaction score
All,

I did a quick search (on my phone) in this forum and came up pretty empty.

Does anyone have any experience with this 8 gallon conical?

https://moonshinedistiller.com/index.php?route=mobile_store/product&product_id=276

Seems like a pretty decent deal. It appears to be very similar to the Stout 7.3 gallon conical but it includes a tri-clover ferrule on the lid (Stout does not).

Anyone have any information to share? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, don't know anything about these, but be careful-there is a lot of chinese junk out there!

singybrue,

Yep. That's my concern too - Chinese garbage. I'm leaning toward a Ss Brew Tech chronical conical. But if someone tells me that these conicals are quite the bargain, then I'll reconsider.

Thanks!

They're made in China. Zoom in on the pictures - the text on the valves.
Here's the thing - EVERYTHING is made in China. Or just about everything. The reason you shop from brewershardware or any of the other US-based retailers is because, in exchange for the higher prices, you get quality control and a contact point stateside. They deal with the challenges of importation, you get the goods. But you pay more.

singybrue,

Yep. That's my concern too - Chinese garbage. I'm leaning toward a Ss Brew Tech chronical conical. But if someone tells me that these conicals are quite the bargain, then I'll reconsider.

Ummm... Aren't the SS Brewing conicals made in China, too? They seem pretty nice and it wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Ummm... Aren't the SS Brewing conicals made in China, too? They seem pretty nice and it wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Yup. That's why you want to buy from a local distributor/importer - they provide some quality assurance for you, and a local name and number to call if something goes wrong.

Yes they are made in China from what I understand. However, I don't think they are garbage - folks seem to be generally happy with them.

My concern is the the cheaper ones would not be a real savings - I'm not up for a purchase of an expensive product of unknown quality if I can't return it easily.

So, unless someone can tell me that these are pretty good, I'll probably go with the Ss Chronical Conical (of known quality).

Exactly! There is good Chinese stuff and bad Chinese stuff.
SS brew tech seems to be selling quality products and stands behind them. Any issues are addressed promptly.
And there are reviews out there on their products.
No reviews on the cheapy, even on their own website.
You run the risk of bad, unsanitary welds and other quality control issues.
There is a thread here on HBT about a cheap 7 gallon SS fermenter that had QC issues.

On the other hand, it could turn out to be a bargain!
You just have to be willing to risk $300 to find out.

Well, I'm not much of a gambler. It looks like I'll be sticking with the Brew Tech offering. I'll let someone else take the chance. And best of luck to them - I truly hope they find a bargain in this. It looks decent from afar. But there's no way to know until someone lays hands on one. That someone will not be me.

Back