Conical Fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatslavebrewer

Reaction score
Hello

I have SS Brewbuckets, do I need to secondary ferment using these units. I haven't in the passed and I thought with conicals you don't have to but I haven't read anything that says i don't need to.

Thanks
Bender

Regardless of conical or not, most people don't secondary anymore. When yeast die the cells rupture - google 'autolysis'. That produces undesirable results in the beer.

Some rack out of the primary into the secondary, and some bottle/keg right out of the primary. I have done both with similar results.

If I were going to let a beer age for weeks, I would rack, otherwise I just bottle from the primary.

No need to transfer a beer into a secondary vessel unless the beer was going to be aged for longer than a few months. As long as you keep the beer reasonably cool while it is in the primary vessel, its unlikely that yeast autolysis will occur significantly.

Back