Conical attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed slightly lower attenuation when using a conical fermenter vs a carboy?

No, quite the opposite actually. After I got my BrewTech conical I noticed better attenuation. With buckets and carboys I used to not always hit my FG's even with proper yeast pitch and oxygen, but as soon as I got my conical, hitting FG has not been a problem.

I have not noticed a difference either way. The only thing I've noticed is just how quickly my beers hit terminal gravity. I don't think there's been a change, but just now I can actually take samples easily so I do.

I'm getting better attenuation with my conical as well. I'm getting like .003 or .004 more on the same recipes that I used to ferment using my carboys. I use the same pitching rate and same amount of oxygen. So yeah, better attenuation with my conical.

Sometimes with really big beers my wort stratifies in the conical and some of the concentrated sugary wort gets trapped under some hop trub and won't ferment out, but once it's dumped the beer above the cake is normal.

Back