Confused on what to buy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagobolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have not brewed a batch in probably 3 years. Between having a new kid, buying a new house and a new job it just was not something I had time to do. However I want to quit my job and open a brewery. Wife said I have to brew all year long first. SOOO..

Here is what I have right now, pretty much a begginer's starter kit.

• Ceramic Stock Pot (not sure the size but I know I had to add water to the fermenter to hit 5.5 gals in the past
  • 6.5 and 5.5 gallon glass carboys
  • Fermentation bucket (use for wine but should work here to)
  • Propane turkey roaster
  • Accessories (bottle capper, brushes, air locks, etc)
  • Kegerator equipment (I say that because when we moved the refrigerator has been sitting outside, not sure if it even runs but i have all the connections for them, only missing corny kegs themselves)

So pretty basic stuff. Before all I ever brewed was from extract kits. However I want to get into all grain (or BIAB still researching) and possibly do 10 gallon batches (however, I am that person that has to always get more then they really need, you know just in case). Also, from past experiences I try not to buy to entry level stuff and am ok with building a kit as I go.

Budget wise I have about $400 right now, and my birthday coming up in a couple of months, + a $50 LHBS gift card from Christmas.

So I narrowed it down to a couple things but could use some advice from you all.

• Brew Kettle 15 gallon (liking Spike, heard good quality and it has my initials) - also is 15gallon good enough for a 10 gallon brew?
  • Conical Fermenter - SS BrewTech probably more in my price range, 14 Gallon (a little over budget, plus probably going to need more equipment to work)
  • Mash Tun Kits (I have two gatorade coolers, 5 gallon and 7 gallon)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

With all the reading on things here on this forum, as much of a blessing as it is, it is also a bad bad bad thing for me. Seeing some of the set ups you all have and my imagination going ahh!!

I have not brewed a batch in probably 3 years. Between having a new kid, buying a new house and a new job it just was not something I had time to do. However I want to quit my job and open a brewery. Wife said I have to brew all year long first. SOOO..

• Ceramic Stock Pot (not sure the size but I know I had to add water to the fermenter to hit 5.5 gals in the past
  • Propane turkey roaster
  • Kegerator equipment (I say that because when we moved the refrigerator has been sitting outside, not sure if it even runs but i have all the connections for them, only missing corny kegs themselves)

So pretty basic stuff. Before all I ever brewed was from extract kits. However I want to get into all grain (or BIAB still researching) and possibly do 10 gallon batches (however, I am that person that has to always get more then they really need, you know just in case). Also, from past experiences I try not to buy to entry level stuff and am ok with building a kit as I go.

Budget wise I have about $400 right now, and my birthday coming up in a couple of months, + a $50 LHBS gift card from Christmas.

So I narrowed it down to a couple things but could use some advice from you all.

• Brew Kettle 15 gallon (liking Spike, heard good quality and it has my initials) - also is 15gallon good enough for a 10 gallon brew?
  • Conical Fermenter - SS BrewTech probably more in my price range, 14 Gallon (a little over budget, plus probably going to need more equipment to work)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

With all the reading on things here on this forum, as much of a blessing as it is, it is also a bad bad bad thing for me. Seeing some of the set ups you all have and my imagination going ahh!!

If you are really thinking about opening a brewery, the firs step is to amass $100,000 so you have start up money. That amount is likely to be a little low but with that you can probably borrow what you need. You also need to have started about 5 years ago as you now have competition to deal with plus there will be a lag between when you think you will open the brewery and when it actually occurs due to regulations and licensing issues. You probably will need to hire a lawyer to help you through the hurdles to get all the licensing too.

For the immediate future, don't waste your money on top of the line brewing equipment. You will need that money for starting the brewery and the beer you make in the next year will be the same on cheap equipment as on expensive equipment. You are looking for experience, not beer to sell. If you do open a brewery after all this your equipment you buy now will only be used occasionally as you will have much bigger equipment to use and you might only use the smaller equipment to develop a new recipe.

After doing taxidermy for 6 yrs theres one thing I took away from it...I'd Never make a hobby I loved into a business ever again. It got to the point it wasn't fun anymore. I enjoy making beer. I'm getting good at it and the level I'm brewing at is ok with me . I enjoy sharing my beers but ...to make it a business, not for me. FWIW- good luck in whatever you do decide to do with it.

• Propane turkey roaster

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Do yourself a favor: Keep your day job and become proficient at all grain brewing.

If in 5 years you still want to open a brewery, keep hanging onto your day job and get your finances in order. Then after the few years that may take to get squared away, think about whether you still want to do it.

I’m amazed that people still think you can just open a brewery. There are many, many variables and if you only have experience brewing extract, I’d make not only a 5-10 year plan, but also remember how much time, money, and general blood, sweat, and tears goes into it.

Not something you just decide to do, no matter how romantic the notion might be. In the current climate, it’s not good enough to be a great brewer, you need to be an excellent brewer. Even then, the market is filled with excellent brewers making excellent beers and sometimes they can’t keep the product selling and the doors open.

Last edited:
Double that $100,000 start up figure even for a small brewpub or taproom. (I just looked up used systems on ProBrewer.com. Within the first few listings is a 2bbl system for over $8,000... a 3.5bbl for $35,000 and a 15bbl system for $695,000) There's the cost of a building, rent or lease payments, federal and state licensing... taxes... etc. Then be prepared for unexpected costs and delays due to building codes.

There is a new 3.5 barrel brewery that opened in downtown Saginaw within the past year that took over 2 years to open while they dealt with licensing, building codes, building remodeling etc. So don't quit your job right away. Instead, be prepared to basically have two jobs for a while.

Do you plan on having employees? How familiar are you with payroll, EEO regulations, taxes and a whole lot more.

Where do you plan to get your supplies? You will have to establish supply connections and juggle the logistics of managing deliveries. You don't want to run out of a key ingredient when you need it and you don't want to have too much sitting unused and getting stale.

How proficient are you at creating recipes? You should have a pretty good familiarity with malts, hops and yeasts and how different combinations work, or don't work well with each other. it's like opening a restaurant in a way... I don't know anyone who opened a restaurant who didn't have better than average knowledge of cooking.

You might want to knock on the doors of any and every brewery within 100 miles and pick their brains for more information.

Thank you all for the input! I know most of the replies are focused on the open a brewery and I appreciate that. I know it is more of a dream (or nightmare given how much time would go into it) and may never be possible. My cousins owned a brewery up north from here and closed it down and moved into the city here and opened a new one. It is doing fairly well and they have a lot of their drinks (mainly ciders now) in local shops here.

GIVEN that. Lets take that out of the equation for now and focus on supplies as if I am NOT going to open a brewery one day (like you said better to look down the road and plan it.)

I appreciate the feedback and will revisit this again but lets say I am JUST going to do home brew for friends and family and myself. For those that brew over 10gallon batches, do you usually give it away as gifts, or just brew when you need to refill your kegs?

Your post sounds a bit like "I played Freshman basketball a few years ago, and now I would like to play for the Lakers." I have a friend that owns a small brewpub that still has his day job (he brews on his off time and his wife is often working the bar). I know several other people in the industry, and it sure seems like a tough one to make a decent living.

If you think the brewery is really in the cards...maybe get yourself a 1 barrel system and work on perfecting some recipes and building up a following of people that love your beer. Maybe a part time job at a brewery. Maybe some formal brewing training.

For now, with your budget, I would look to build a system to support 5 gallon all-grain batches and a copy of Palmer's "How to Brew". A 15 gallon pot will eat up a lot of your budget. Also keep in mind that 10 gallon batches are to the point where you need to use gravity/pumps to move the liquid.

If I had to pick one item I would get the "Conical Fermenter - SS BrewTech 14 Gallon". I have been assembling my kit bit by bit for 4 years. The Conical was by far the biggest improvement in my process. Originally in a fridge and then upgraded to the FTSs2 and then added a glycol chiller. I also have a G2 - 15 Gallon Brew Kettle and and regularly aim for a preboil of 13 Gal so yes 15G BKs handle 10 gal batches.

Mmmm. Sierra Nevada, dog fish head, lagunitas just name a few. Started with practily nothing. 15 gal start up. I think they were accepting a punch in the nuts daily. They had one thing in common, no quit attitude. It's about making good beer. Knowing how to make it. Knowing business. They suffered alot. As all brewerys have. What one man can do another can do. So if you want it, go ahead, don't let any one tell you any different. Be ready to suffer, and enjoy having your nuts kicked. I hope you can be the next success story I read about. Most people don't have the nuts to even get kicked.

I have never done BIAB but if I were in your shoes, I would probably be giving that some considerable thought. It seems like BIAB may be better for smaller batches though? I don't know. Anyway, I think you need some boil and mash capacity. I did many 10 gallon batches with a 15.5 gallon boil kettle with room to spare so I think 15 gallon BK would be fine. But you will probably need a mash tun about the same size. I doubt 7 gallon mash tun will cut it.

Regarding opening a brewery, I have to agree with Kiln in that what one man can do another can do, although the other advice isn't far off. I am in Japan but 2 years ago, I told a buddy of mine that I want to quit my job and open a brewery. He said it's impossible. 2 years and nearly $100K later, we are about to open. Time will tell if we are successful or not. And, it sounds like you have someone to help show you the way.

Good Luck!

I appreciate the feedback and will revisit this again but lets say I am JUST going to do home brew for friends and family and myself. For those that brew over 10gallon batches, do you usually give it away as gifts, or just brew when you need to refill your kegs?

I have a 15 gallon kettle, expensive but beautiful. Ten gallons can be done in it but it's close. I more often brew eight gallons, splitting it between a 5 and 2.5 keg. I also use different yeasts or other changes to get two beers out of one boil.

I have never done BIAB but if I were in your shoes, I would probably be giving that some considerable thought. It seems like BIAB may be better for smaller batches though? I don't know. Anyway, I think you need some boil and mash capacity. I did many 10 gallon batches with a 15.5 gallon boil kettle with room to spare so I think 15 gallon BK would be fine. But you will probably need a mash tun about the same size. I doubt 7 gallon mash tun will cut it.

Regarding opening a brewery, I have to agree with Kiln in that what one man can do another can do, although the other advice isn't far off. I am in Japan but 2 years ago, I told a buddy of mine that I want to quit my job and open a brewery. He said it's impossible. 2 years and nearly $100K later, we are about to open. Time will tell if we are successful or not. And, it sounds like you have someone to help show you the way.

Good Luck!

Very cool man congratulations! I have a good job, stressful but pays well. Just always had the entrepreneur mindset. Keep us updated on your brewery! Would love to see some pictures!

BIAB does seem like another way to go. I was thinking mash tun just to get some of that experience and see what it is all about.

I have a 15 gallon kettle, expensive but beautiful. Ten gallons can be done in it but it's close. I more often brew eight gallons, splitting it between a 5 and 2.5 keg. I also use different yeasts or other changes to get two beers out of one boil.

They seem to be pricey but like you said beautiful! But they are cheaper then a fermenter. But then again having a nice fermenter to primary and secondary seems like a time saver.

Very cool man congratulations! I have a good job, stressful but pays well. Just always had the entrepreneur mindset. Keep us updated on your brewery! Would love to see some pictures!

BIAB does seem like another way to go. I was thinking mash tun just to get some of that experience and see what it is all about.

good paying job, stressful but pays well. Me too :) Many people (including my wife) asking why I want to give that up to be kicked in the nuts on a daily basis. For me, the well paying job isn't interesting anymore.

I sent you a message with links to pictures.

Picked up my first upgraded piece. SS Brewtech Brew Kettle. Took some advice from you all and started there. Going to start small and not spend to much money now to save for later! Also was able to get it for a decent deal to have enough to buy some more parts as well!

I have a budget set up when I say budget, I mean budget. The most expensive piece is my pot and that cost me a whopping $125 from Agri Supply. It is 20 gallons so a ten gallon brew is easy. I have a cheap 3 tier set up, Coleman (54qt.I think) rectangular cooler (like $50), homemade manifold ($10), two burners. One on second tier ($30) Agri supply, Banjo for boiling ($100 craigslist). I might have $400 with the SS ball-valves and all other fittings and hoses. I do not have any pumps so I move all the liquid by hand which does not bother me. I lift the cold water and let the hot just gravity feed. As for a conical I would hold off unless you have some way of controlling the temperature of it. I was going to get one but opted to stay with buckets because they fit in me fermentation chamber. All told with temp control, chamber (new freezer), buckets yada yada yada its about another $290 and that's with 6 buckets. Most guys I brewed with had double to triple in their system and the beer was no better then mine. Most of them no longer brew either and I could have bought their stuff on the cheap but didn't. Mine works the way I need it to and I really know my system.

Back