Confused on how big of starter (mrmalty vs beersmith2.0 conflicting)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colbizle

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how big of a starter I need to make using WLP300. This is for my DunkelWeizen that has a estimated SG of 1.052 according to beersmith 2.0. Not sure which one is correct. They are pretty far apart in terms of starter size. MrMalty says 1.97L and beersmith says 3.89L ?!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Screenshots below:

mrmalty.jpg

brewsmith.jpg

TBH, you can probably get by without any starter at all in that beer. It's not best practice, but if your yeast is fresh, it'll most likely be ok.

If you do make a starter, I'd pitch a single vial into a 2-liter Erlenmeyer filled to about 1700 ml.

TBH, you can probably get by without any starter at all in that beer. It's not best practice, but if your yeast is fresh, it'll most likely be ok.

If you do make a starter, I'd pitch a single vial into a 2-liter Erlenmeyer filled to about 1700 ml.

Ok thanks for the advice. So just pitch the vial straight to 2-liter with wort around 1.030 OG? Would that be enough? I don't have a Erlenmeyer, just a glass gallon jug.

I would not disagree with the recommendations above, but I would make the pitch (no pun intended) for Brewers Friend yeast pitching calculator. It is more flexible and offers Braukaiser's model for stir plate starters.

Jim

Back