Confused! Low Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrammer

Reaction score
So I am seriously confused! I have brewed 3 different beers now and I am getting some really bad yeast attenuation. Figured I would ask everyone here to see if you guys can see what I am doing wrong.

First Batch - IPA

Mash Temp - 155
Mash Time - 60 Minutes

SG - 1.069
FG - 1.025

Yeast - Wyeast 10565 1.5L starter
Expected - FG 1.019 @ 75%

Fermentation Temp
5 Days at 70 then it got up to 75 for the next 10 days

Checked on the Refractometer twice in 24 hours and fermentation had stopped.

Second Batch - Colette Clone

Mash Temp - 150
Mash Time - 75 Minutes

SG - 1.070 expected 1.077
FG - 1.034

Yeast - Colette Dregs - Stepped up to 2L
Expected - Not sure, it is a mix of 4 different yeasts

Fermentation Temp
5 Days at 72 then I just let it go... might have gotten to the 80s.

Checked on the Refractometer twice in 24 hours and fermentation had stopped.

Third Batch - 80 Acre Clone

Mash Temp - 150
Mash Time - 90 Minutes

SG - 1.070
FG - 1.028

Yeast - US-04
Expected - FG 1.021

Fermentation Temp
I was anal on this fermentation because I kept missing my FG marks.
4 Days @ 60 then another 12 at 65.

Checked on the Refractometer twice in 24 hours there has been no more fermentation since the 4th day. Crazy how fast that yeast works.

I will say that I don't inject o2. I just shake the hell out of the wort before I pitch the yeast.

At any rate... Just confused and frustrated, sorry for the long email.

Are you using a correction calculator for your refractometer reading? Once fermentation begins the refractometer will no longer read the gravity correctly. The reading needs to be converted in a calculator to even be somewhat accurate. Have you taken fg feadings with a hydrometer? That is all I use once the beer is fermenting.

I have not! Haven't seen that on here before. Let me check that out.

Thanks all!

How about that... Used the More Beer calculator and the numbers are right on the money! Thanks again for the help everyone.

How about that... Used the More Beer calculator and the numbers are right on the money! Thanks again for the help everyone.

Don't worry. You're not the first person to do that and certainly won't be the last. It's a shame that more folks aren't told about this when buying a refractometer.

Back