confused about malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
im a bit confused about the different types of malts and their uses. what exactly is the difference between dried malt and liquid malt and the kits like coopers and what are their uses and what do they add to the brew?

ie

coopers kit http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/coopers-irish-stout-17kg-p-814.html

liquid malt http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ingredientsadditivessteriliser-liquid-malt-extract-c-3_38.html

dried malt http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ingredientsadditivessteriliser-spray-malts-c-3_36.html

are the coopers and liquid malt not the same thing i thought coopers kit was a liquid malt??

im a bit confused about the different types of malts and their uses. what exactly is the difference between dried malt and liquid malt and the kits like coopers and what are their uses and what do they add to the brew?

ie

coopers kit http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/coopers-irish-stout-17kg-p-814.html

liquid malt http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ingredientsadditivessteriliser-liquid-malt-extract-c-3_38.html

dried malt http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ingredientsadditivessteriliser-spray-malts-c-3_36.html

are the coopers and liquid malt not the same thing i thought coopers kit was a liquid malt??

The coopers malt is a prehopped malt, has the hops bonded into the syrup.. from my understanding, these are to be avoided..

LME is malt extract in the form of a super sticky, thick as can be syrup... when adding to the pot, kill the flame and/or move the pit from the heat and stir stir stir, so you don't scorch it to the bottom of the kettle..

DME is malt extract in a powdered from, it will stick in the bag when adding because of rhe steam hydrating it, so it a good idea to add it as fast as possible, but not so fast that it clumps together and takes longer to break up, as with LME, the trick is to stir it very well to get it mixed..

Some people add 1/3 or so when called for in the instructions and the rest towards the end of the boil so they brew doesn't result in overly dark colors..

I think I have that right.. I'm rather new so hopefully someone can give a little better answer..

Also, you can substitute dried for liquid in any recipe - just use 20% more liquid (the liquid is about 20% water so you have to use 20% more for the same result).

The role of malt in your beer is to provide flavor, color and fermentables (yeast eat it to produce alcohol and CO2).

I will add that dry malt extract will stay fresher longer if stored properly. Liquid has a shorter shelf life so if your supplier isn't going through a lot of it what you get may not be the freshest product to use and using fresh ingredients is key to good beer

1) The coopers is a Hopped Malt Extract (HME). You boil it, and you have beer. I don't think they are any fun. My first kit was one of them, and I was bored.

2) Liquid Malt Extract (LME) - A 'syrup' based malt. Basically, the grains have been mashed and most of the water has been boiled out.

3) Dry Malt Extract (DME) - A dried out grain. These grains have been mashed and then dehydrated.

Like others have said, LME and DME are both great for extract brews. Add these at the start of your boil, and that's a great starting point. You will need to use 20% more LME than DME.

thanks kev that really clears it up for me, so when using 2) and 3) you have to add more grain and hops right? is this whats know as partial mash brewing or extract brewing or are they the same thing?

thanks kev that really clears it up for me, so when using 2) and 3) you have to add more grain and hops right? is this whats know as partial mash brewing or extract brewing or are they the same thing?

You will have to add hops as they aren't included in the extract like with the pre-hopped LME. However, other grains are purely optional to tweak the color, flavor and aroma of the finished product. It is also not required that you do a mash. With some grains like Crystal malt or roasted barley, simply steeping the grains at around 150* for 30 min. or so will influence the color and body without going through the full mashing process. After steeping, you remove the grains, raise to a boil and add the extract and hops as usual.

I'm sorry if this is a very beginner level question, but I want to make sure I'm understanding something correctly. A Cooper's kit I'm planning to use says to use a can of Light Malt Extract to replicate the intended flavor. Am I correct in understanding that to mean using the LME INSTEAD of adding 1kg of some form of sugar (as opposed to in addition to)?

I'm sorry if this is a very beginner level question, but I want to make sure I'm understanding something correctly. A Cooper's kit I'm planning to use says to use a can of Light Malt Extract to replicate the intended flavor. Am I correct in understanding that to mean using the LME INSTEAD of adding 1kg of some form of sugar (as opposed to in addition to)?

You could do both. They intend to have the LME in there A to help boost up the alcohol a bit, as well as flavor. Adding the sugar is essentially just going to boost the abv.

The coopers kits are great, quick easy and very simple to do. Especially if you are crunched for time! Or you are trying to build up a pipeline... they almost always turn out good.

Ok,some call Cooper's & Munton's HME. Basically correct,but misleading. It's STILL LME! just pre-hopped. but Cooper's also sells plain (un-hopped) LME in cans. This is light,amber,dark & wheat. These are the ones referred to in your kit. So the light malt extract is the lightest color of un-hopped LME they sell. And Cooper's cans are lined,so no metallic taste from them. You can also use plain DME ( I really like Munton's with Cooper's cans). I use the 3lb bag with one Cooper's can. You can use half the 3lb bag in a 2.5-3.5 gallon partial boil For hop additions. DME doesn't darken very fast,unlike LME. So you can do any hop additions you want. Then at flame out,add the remaining DME & the Cooper's can. Stir it in quickly.Since it's still boiling hot,& pasteurization happens at 160F,you can cover & steep it a couple minuts to pasteurize the late additions while setting up for the ice bath. Works fine for me everytime. Also with Cooper's the Original Series cans are Bittering only with Pride of Ringwood hops.

Back