Confused about "just pour off" re: yeast washing and starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
I've tried my hand at some yeast washing a couple batches ago; I've been doing starters since my second batch.

For washing, I've read some posts (including the sticky) which explain very clearly up until the point they say something to the effect of, "just pour off" the top layer(s) so that you're left with just the yeast.

As far as starters go, I'm staring at a starter I made yesterday which has some old beer on top along with some garbage from the last batch (obviously I didn't wash quite right). Again, some threads simply say something to the effect of "just pour off" the old beer before pitching the starter.

My confusion: how do you "just pour off" anything from the top of something else without pouring out at least a little of the "something else." e.g., how do I "just pour off" the old beer/trub from my starter without some of the yeast getting out? It is, after all, a cylindrical container... If one tries to "just pour off" the foamy head of a beer at some point the beer's going to start coming out and some of foamy head will stay in the glass...

When the yeast flocs out, it sticks together pretty decently. You always lose a little bit of yeast when decanting, but generally surprisingly little. Leave a little bit of the liquid behind, as well.

Back