Confused 1st year goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
I'm a novice hop cultivator with A first year EKG plant.
I've been watching and waiting for the right time to cut them back for winter, and a few questions have come up.

First, here's what they look like.

image-25429023.jpg

Yellow but not entirely shriveled yet.

Is it time to cut, or should I wait until the leaves fall off?

To further complicate things, when I went to look at them today, I noticed what appears to be shoots starting.

image-210599883.jpg

image-3916760403.jpg

image-436533286.jpg

These, I believe to be the result of the mild autumn we are having in Portland this year.

I'm wondering if I should wait for a freeze to cut, might lead to less confusion for the plant.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks.

Also, if anyone is so inclined, do I mulch/compost after I cut (burying the cut stump), or before (leaving the stump sticking out just above ground level)?

You can cut it off now or later, but for sure that teeny li'l sprig ain't gonna survive to Spring, and new growth emerge from beneath the soil anyway.

Mulch after you behead...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
You can cut it off now or later, but for sure that teeny li'l sprig ain't gonna survive to Spring, and new growth emerge from beneath the soil anyway.

Mulch after you behead...

Cheers!

Thanks. I figured it they wouldn't make it to spring, but I didn't want to stimulate further growth from those nodes like you do when you trim other plants.

hitransplant,
your plant has shifted gear into " form crown bud mode". The purple buds are crown buds that are forming high - check lower- just below the surface you should see more white buds forming. The plant is still pulling the remaining sugars out of the bine; so don't cut it yet if you don't have too. Pile some loose mulch a couple inches deep over it and go have a beer! (Those purple buds are incredibly hard to force unless you jack them with fertilizer.)

Jagdad said:
hitransplant,
your plant has shifted gear into " form crown bud mode". The purple buds are crown buds that are forming high - check lower- just below the surface you should see more white buds forming. The plant is still pulling the remaining sugars out of the bine; so don't cut it yet if you don't have too. Pile some loose mulch a couple inches deep over it and go have a beer! (Those purple buds are incredibly hard to force unless you jack them with fertilizer.)

Thanks jagdad...

I don't HAVE to do anything ;)
Seriously though...I was planning on leaving the bine up until most of the leaves drop.

Are crown buds a good thing? I don't want them to sprout up now, should I be doing anything to dissuade them?

Im planning to pile with compost first. Should I put an inch or so and then cover w mulch?

When I cut the bines, should I cut above those crown buds?

Sorry for the 20 questions.

Oh, and btw...I'm having a beer. This beer:

image-440577645.jpg

Thanks again!

When you cut the vines down you can leave a few inches sticking up so that you'll be able to locate the center of the crown next Spring - if you like. If not, just whack them back to just above the 'buds' and throw some compost/mulch over them. They are pretty much going into their dormant state at this point and Mother Nature will be sure to wake them up next Spring.

B-Hoppy said:
When you cut the vines down you can leave a few inches sticking up so that you'll be able to locate the center of the crown next Spring - if you like. If not, just whack them back to just above the 'buds' and throw some compost/mulch over them. They are pretty much going into their dormant state at this point and Mother Nature will be sure to wake them up next Spring.

The buds are forming as high as 4 inches from the soil...cut above that?

What you can't see, below the soil, would probably freak you out if you could. There's plenty more buds down there so if you were to lop a few of the higher ones off it's no big deal. Remember, there's a BIG difference between first and second year growth. So don't be nervous, just whack them off and give the crowns a nice blanket for the Winter and go have a beer.

What you can't see, below the soil, would probably freak you out if you could. There's plenty more buds down there so if you were to lop a few of the higher ones off it's no big deal. Remember, there's a BIG difference between first and second year growth. So don't be nervous, just whack them off and give the crowns a nice blanket for the Winter and go have a beer.

sweet... thanks!!

and thanks everyone else for the help

Latest posts

Back