confirm my simple stout please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePote

Reaction score
I was in search of a simple recipe and came across this for a dry stout:

7lb 2 row
2lb flaked barley
1lb roasted barley

2oz East kent goldings @60

Mash @153 for 60 minutes

I was going to use s-04 @ 64-65 degrees for the majority of the fermentation and raise to 68-70 at the end. The recipe calls for notty but I have the 04 on hand. I was going to add .5 lb of table sugar to up the ABV from 4.7% to 5.0%.

I am a new brewer with 4 or 5 AG under my belt and am just starting to play around with non kit recipes and was looking for some confirmation. I know this will be a simple beer which is fine. Would you add anything, change the yeast, or skip the sugar?

Thanks for any help.

-Mike

your specialty grains should be about 15% of the grain bill
you have close to 40

Actually, your grist is pretty typical for a Dry Stout. Since they're stylistically lower ABV, I'd say don't add the sugar, which could thin the beer out a bit. If anything, just bump your base malt up a pound or two. That recipe looks just fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

your specialty grains should be about 15% of the grain bill
you have close to 40

i wouldn't count flaked barley as a specialty malt.

this, other than the sugar, looks like a pretty classic dry irish stout recipe. i suggest you go ahead with it as is. i prefer 04 to notty - better esters, better floc.

Final recipe was:

8lb 2 row
2lb flaked barley
1lb roasted barley

1.5oz East Kent Goldings @60 (7.1% AA for 36 IBU)

S-04 fermented at 64 degrees

I brewed this on 3-28 and took a sample today (day 5). I know its early to take a sample but I was hoping to bottle Saturday and needed to take my first sample if that has any chance of happening. Holy crap im already at 1.009 and the krausen has dropped completely. I love s-04 and pitched a VERY active starter but didn't expect it to be (probably) done already. I will check again Friday and if it is the same will bottle Saturday. The hydro sample tasted wonderful - a little sweet and kind of tastes like chocolate. If it drops a few points and is a little less sweet that would be good too. Hopefully it tastes that good after carbing up.

This got bottled 4-08 (8 days in primary). It has only been about four weeks grain to glass but it turned out realllllllly good. Super simple and a little sweet but not too sweet. To the new brewer who is making a simple dry stout two years from now and doing research - give this a shot you wont be disappointed. Thanks to everybody for your help.

Back