Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fear the foam. Star-San foam that is. Whenever I sanitize my carboys before I pour in my wort I always do a second small rinse to get some of that foam out. Harp all you want about star San breaking down into yeast nutrient or what not but it bothers me how that star San tastes, and I don't quite like the idea of THAT much foam going into my beer. Doubt I need that much "yeast nutrient" in there either, especially when I have actual yeast nutrient to use if I want to.

John Palmer is livid with your liberal talk

This thread is awesome!

When cooling the wort on a pale ale recipe we improvised on, my friend's sunglasses fell off his head and into the kettle. We called it 'Shades Pale Ale.' Was one of my favorites we made that year!

One reason that I really like brewing in the winter, is that at flameout, I jus carry my boil pit or keggle outside and let it cool.. I jus dont bother with it until it comes down to pitching temp.. No immersion cooker, hoses, etc.. Lazy brewing at its finest

Love this thread. I'm super anal about cleaning and sanitizing. But I'm also impatient as heck. Two weeks is all i can wait for a beer before it goes into packaging. And I don't take hydrometer readings.

I brew way more than I can drink or give away and a lot waters the garden so I have room to keg more.

I don't clean my equipment. Just rinse with hot water, until there is no visible gunk on them. Then I sanitize on my next brew day.

Also use a whole package of us-05 in 1 gallon batches.

This isn't exactly brewing related, but I had to confess my sins. I had almost a full glass of an excellent barrel aged quad, and my cousin that I was staying with wanted to go for a walk. I didn't want to waste the beer, so I just dumped it, along with what was left in the bottle, into one of those pop-top thermoses and drank it while walking around East Boston.

I don't clean my equipment. Just rinse with hot water, until there is no visible gunk on them. Then I sanitize on my next brew day.

This is my routine as well. Scrub and rinse off the visible sludge after use, Star San on everything before the next use. No infections yet. (Famous last words...)

This is my routine as well. Scrub and rinse off the visible sludge after use, Star San on everything before the next use. No infections yet. (Famous last words...)

I use onestep to clean and sanitize... Your method is likely less risky. I figure if hydrogen peroxide can rupture the cell membrane of bacteria and healthy tissue when cleaning a cut it should be good for brewing equiptment.

some of these are great!

Mine are very simple, I never check gravity. Ever. I have a hydrometer, first batch I ever did I used it for a starting gravity and have not touched it since. (for a total of 28 batches)

My wort chiller pump is a 1hp sump pump. (for inside the copper, not for wort)

I use tap water (but this Sat is the first time I used campden tablets for the first time for my Pliney)

(and response to the above, I always clean and sanitize when done. (buckets get their lids, hot water rinse and lids with airlocks, carboys with airlocks and a little sanitizer left it them. Rinse and sanitize again on brew day.)

This isn't exactly brewing related, but I had to confess my sins. I had almost a full glass of an excellent barrel aged quad, and my cousin that I was staying with wanted to go for a walk. I didn't want to waste the beer, so I just dumped it, along with what was left in the bottle, into one of those pop-top thermoses and drank it while walking around East Boston.

3b940c7c892a8fd5ca135c00f8db1fb7a25f1fc22084698b5b5774a0ff4b0e7d.jpg

When I read threads on HBT I start at the end and read the most recent posts first and work my way back. I have no idea why I do this. I've read 100 page threads backwards, and it totally made sense.

I confess...I do the same thing. I often read magazines from the back also. Go figure. Not sure why :confused:

After brew day I just fill up my keggle w water and oxyclean. I dump everything in there (tools, hoses, etc) and let it sit overnight. Next day I just hose it all off and hang on a metal rack to dry. No scrubbing. Next brew day I sometimes rinse it again, but mostly just squirt everything with a star san spray bottle.

It took me two weeks, but I confess I read all 138 pgs of this thread while sitting on conference calls for work!

Two for TODAY!

Not only did I pitch on my old S-04 cake but I did not even bother to pull the loose dry hops out.

As per usual, since my kegs were still pressurize and in the kegerator empty, I just rinsed them with hot water and put in the next beer.

This weekend I kegged my witbier that had been in the primary for over a week. Tasted it while transferring. Very sweet.

Kegged it up and kept it in the house to finish fermenting.

Went back to garage to check temp controller and found the differential setting to be 10 degrees. oops. Must have made a mistake when programming it last time! It was so cold out that the witbier didn't get a chance to ferment much!

This is a confession now? In that case, oops. Sign me up.

Torques the crap of some folks...even worse when I realized it had been months since I did more.

Still have not cleaned the lines in over 10 batches...maybe 20.

Still have not cleaned the lines in over 10 batches...maybe 20.

Are you me? Stop being me, one is enough!

On one of my lines I've got some build-up that comes off in small powdery looking but textureless and tasteless pieces. Guess it'll be the first cleaning as soon as the keg kicks.

I do the keg thing too. I don't know why people get so hung up about cleaning and sanitizing the heck out of kegs after every batch. The beer that was just in there was fine, was it not? It wasn't infected, right? So there was just good beer in there before, all you're adding to it is new, good beer, so what's the problem? Where is the infection going to come from if the stuff that was in there before wasn't infected?

When I kick a keg and I'm ready to fill it right away I just boil some water and pour it into the corny and put the lid on. Then wait for the steam to build up a little pressure so the lid seals and I shake the tar out of it to sanitize. Then I hook it up to my tap and there is usually enough pressure to push the hot water out and clean my tap that way. Works ok so far. Of course I found the cold to hot loosens the fittings so usually I need to check those.

When I kick a keg and I'm ready to fill it right away I just boil some water and pour it into the corny and put the lid on. Then wait for the steam to build up a little pressure so the lid seals and I shake the tar out of it to sanitize. Then I hook it up to my tap and there is usually enough pressure to push the hot water out and clean my tap that way. Works ok so far. Of course I found the cold to hot loosens the fittings so usually I need to check those.

Technically, the steam cannot build if the thermal mass is less than boiling temp. what you are feeling is the pressure just from the temperature imbalance in the sealed container...think a good contico coffee cup.

So you are adding say 8-16#'s of boiling to an 8-12# keg (assuming no other liquids)...you are above "tepid" but not much more over "hot tub" once you slosh it around. Soooooo...what have you gained?:ban:

Technically, the steam cannot build if the thermal mass is less than boiling temp. what you are feeling is the pressure just from the temperature imbalance in the sealed container...think a good contico coffee cup.

So you are adding say 8-16#'s of boiling to an 8-12# keg (assuming no other liquids)...you are above "tepid" but not much more over "hot tub" once you slosh it around. Soooooo...what have you gained?:ban:

Exactly what I though, steam doesn't build pressure(unless its becoming steam in the container i.e. a boiler). The opposite is actually happening, a loss is pressure from the cooling of the water, like how jars seal when you boil, screw the lid on, and then cool them.

Exactly what I though, steam doesn't build pressure(unless its becoming steam in the container i.e. a boiler). The opposite is actually happening, a loss is pressure from the cooling of the water, like how jars seal when you boil, screw the lid on, and then cool them.

It works a little different if you are, in my example, adding 2/5ths of volume 212 water to 3/5ths 70 degree air, even with conductive loses of the SS jacket, you will create pressure. It will not be steam (for the most part) but it is positive pressure.

It works a little different if you are, in my example, adding 2/5ths of volume 212 water to 3/5ths 70 degree air, even with conductive loses of the SS jacket, you will create pressure. It wil nt be steam (for the most part) but it is positive pressure.

Okay, I don't claim to know anything about physics(coulda, shoulda, woulda, but I chose TV broadcasting as a career instead for some reason, even though I was in the top of my organic chemistry class in HS) just going by what I observe in life, and the physics I do know. I assume you are correct, but if it were left to cool down to 70(not that this is anywhere in the example, I just want to validate myself), it would create negative pressure from the gasses and liquid shrinking in volume, correct?

Okay, I don't claim to know anything about physics(coulda, shoulda, woulda, but I chose TV broadcasting as a career instead for some reason, even though I was in the top of my organic chemistry class in HS) just going by what I observe in life, and the physics I do know. I assume you are correct, but if it were left to cool down to 70(not that this is anywhere in the example, I just want to validate myself), it would create negative pressure from the gasses and liquid shrinking in volume, correct?

As long as you vented some air while it was pressurized, yep. Your canning example, the lids are on loosely to allow the contents to expand and "vent" air. You tighten the lid (normally just the sealing ring) while still hot and the cooling creates the vacuum hence popping the lids down.

I learned a lot as kid doing canning with my parents as my dad was a research AG professor and mom a former high school Home Ec teacher (with a minor in Chemistry). Amazing that we figured that process out so many decades ago before modern science...just like old time brewers figuring out differential volumes for step mashing (add x gallons of boiling water to x gallons of 70 degree water to get your strike temp) before modern thermometers.

If you put boiling water into a room temperature keg, seal it, and shake it, you will most definitely get positive pressure inside the keg, even though the water is technically cooling rapidly as it contacts the keg. This is because sloshing it around rapidly heats the air inside the keg, causing it to expand. Since it cannot actually expand, instead this manifests as a pressure increase.

Yeah I just had to think about it for a second longer, I wasn't thinking about the cold air in the keg, just thinking about hot water cooling down. Thanks for the physics lesson though! Don't do nearly enough learning in TV, besides lots of technical stuff

...you are above "tepid" but not much more over "hot tub" once you slosh it around. Soooooo...what have you gained?:ban:

Huh? Is this one of those "well actually..."?

I agree with kombat that the hot water heats the air in the keg and expands creating pressure -not steam. But I don't rely on the hot air to clean or santize, I shake the boiling water (or near boiling water now) until the whole keg is hot to the touch. I then pour the content out through my tap. Water is still too hot to touch. I do this whole process in less than five minutes.

What I've gained? I'd say at a minimum I'm cleaning the keg and ideally sanitizing the inside with (near) boiling water. And I"m cleaning my tap line and tap.

Huh? Is this one of those "well actually..."

I agree with kombat that the hot water heats the air in the keg and expands creating pressure -not steam. But I don't rely on the hot air to clean or santize, I shake the boiling water (or near boiling water now) until the whole keg is hot to the touch. I then pour the content out through my tap. Water is still too hot to touch. I do this whole process in less than five minutes.

What I've gained? I'd say at a minimum I'm cleaning the keg and ideally sanitizing the inside with (near) boiling water. And I"m cleaning my tap line and tap.

Yeah, if it cooled down to "below hot tub" that fast, we wouldn't have all invested in wort chillers!

Most of that post was indicating you were not creating steam in keg as you initially stated...did not want others to take that and run with it.

I agree completely on your comments about it cleaning and even some limited sanitizing action (really depends on a lot of factors but mostly contact time over 180 f or at least 165 f). The line cleaning part I am bit dubious about as you pumping the crud that settled in the keg though the lines unless you are rinsing that out before putting in your boiling water but I a sure does have the effect of purging the prior beer from the line.

But mostly...it was a comment about "what have you gained" over a hot tap water rinse since it appeared you were responding to my comment about just rinsing my kegs and refilling...the dancing banana was to acknowledge it was all in fun.

I never use hydrometers. I stopped after breaking my second hydrometer and don't really miss it.

I also rinse out my kegs after they've been tapped. I do soak in PBW or oxyclean after every 3 batches or so. Along the same lines, I don't clean my beer line with each brew either.

If you put boiling water into a room temperature keg, seal it, and shake it, you will most definitely get positive pressure inside the keg, even though the water is technically cooling rapidly as it contacts the keg. This is because sloshing it around rapidly heats the air inside the keg, causing it to expand. Since it cannot actually expand, instead this manifests as a pressure increase.

Hmmm, I was thinking it would do this:

https://youtu.be/JtqHsCSU3AY?t=69

My keezer as been up and flowing since 12-2014 and I've never cleaned the lines. The beer is still great that comes out.

While trying to reduce the amount of trub into the fermenter, i used a stainless steel scrub pad around my kettle inlet as a strainer. After about a gallon it clogged and i couldnt free it with tongs, paddle, etc. So i just reached in with my unsanitized hairy arm and pulled it out. In the end, i still had a mighty fine tasting DIPA and no detectable infection.

Back