Condensation in carboy after storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc03

Reaction score
Hello, I cleaned my carboy with starsan and stored it 6 weeks ago. I plan on brewing today and noticed the carboy has a lot of condensation in it. There's no liquid persay just condensation and a little smell I couldn't id. Should I be fine just making 5 gallons of starsan in it and dumping it out? I ruined my last brew so just trying to be cautious. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hello, I cleaned my carboy with starsan and stored it 6 weeks ago. I plan on brewing today and noticed the carboy has a lot of condensation in it. There's no liquid persay just condensation and a little smell I couldn't id. Should I be fine just making 5 gallons of starsan in it and dumping it out? I ruined my last brew so just trying to be cautious. Thanks.

Water can store mold, bacteria, etc. I'd wash it, then sanitize it and you'll be good to go!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Great. Thanks. When you say wash it so you mean add the sanitizer then scrub it then dump it out? No soap right?

Cleaning is different from sanitizing. StarSan is a sanitizer. Many use oxiclean or powdered brewers wash (PBW) as a cleaner. Clean first, then sanitize with the StarSan. After that you are good to go.

Cleaning is different from sanitizing. StarSan is a sanitizer. Many use oxiclean or powdered brewers wash (PBW) as a cleaner. Clean first, then sanitize with the StarSan. After that you are good to go.

Totally agree with this. PBW is pricey though. I do use it but only for the worst of grime. Oxiclean a lil bit less so. For everyday cleaning, all my brewery equip gets cleaned and scrubbed with plain ol blue Dawn and a washcloth that has not cleaned dishes with food. Then I sanitize with StarSan. Jus keep a 5 gallon bucket with it and change it every even month (Jan, March, May, etc).

Soak in PBW and OxiFree granules (i use 1:5 ratio) with hot water for a few hours. Rinse well then make up a small amount of Star San and shake it to coat the inside with foam. Let sit a few minutes and you're ready to rock.

I've never had an infection using this method. You get the benefit of some chelation from the PBW but the OxiFree is much cheaper and has a nice detergent effect.

If the vessel has already been surface cleaned and there are no chunks, I'd go straight to Star San and skip the PBW.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

If it adds any credibility, I was cleaning a keg and racking a Munich Dunkel to said keg and racking an Eisbock to secondary, while drinking. And giving advice.

Back