Concerns about my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewerTrain

Reaction score
So this is my First time Brewing. I have two gallon carboys fermenting at this very moment!, the first one started bubbling under 24 hours and the second one under 3 hours. Its now been 96/72 hours and there isn't much activity in them just a spotty layer of foam. i did a hydrometer reading straight from the mash at temps of 88F 1.035 and found out after the fact i need to take a reading of the total volume, its a porter style beer i was aiming for a abv of 3.8%-4.5% i searched porters online and came up with my own recipe and mashed at 1.75LB per QT, I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue?

Maybe its that the abv is low so its doesn't foam much ?

beers with higher OG will have a more vigorous fermentation. Porters are usually 1.050-1.060 OG (taken after cooling wort to pitching temperatures). But its also not unusual for krausen to recede after 2 days or so

Did you take a hydrometer reading of your current state? A taste?

I'll leave it for at least ten days before i break the airlock, unless i need to re-pitch. I tried a spoon full before i put it into the carboy the taste was quite good.

I should add that I'm using Nottingham Yeast and I've been reading that there's been a lot of complains of late

You're concerned about fermentation, so I'm asking about the process of it. A taste or sample from before is of little use now. If I remember correctly, I think notty is a quick and low krausen beer, it may have neared completion. Is there residue of krausen o the walls of the fermenter?

You're concerned about fermentation, so I'm asking about the process of it. A taste or sample from before is of little use now. If I remember correctly, I think notty is a quick and low krausen beer, it may have neared completion. Is there residue of krausen o the walls of the fermenter?

Yeah Nottingham can finish in under 4 days but i want to make sure i give the yeast time to settle down its still bubbling every min and there is spotty krausen on the sides and top

So the only concern is the Krausen has receded quickly? I wouldn't worry too much. What temp are you at fermenting, or do you know?

So the only concern is the Krausen has receded quickly? I wouldn't worry too much. What temp are you at fermenting, or do you know?

There wasn't much to begin with its was spotty throughout the fermentation the temps range from 17C-21C

Did my first hydrometer reading last night both batches were at 1.010 gravity the taste was good but the abv was low so i decided to add some brown sugar (250 grams) and vanilla (10ml) I let the sugar water cool before adding it into the carboy and made sure not to add oxygen to the worts well pouring it into the carboy after swirling the carboy around and taking another reading the gravity reading was 1.023 I put the airlock on and it started bubbling right away's with a bubble every 3 seconds and this morning the top of the carboy is full of krausen.

how do you know the ABV was low? Hydrometers show potential alcohol "remaining" in the wort.

Back