Concerning St. Louis Water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerNaschkatze

Reaction score
Hullo all,

I had a few quick questions regarding my water. I've attached the report. When brewing, i've been adding calcium chloride, campden tablets, and occasional baking soda (to fix pH). Sparging has almost always needed lactic acid.

Any thoughts on this set up? Is there anything I should be doing to the profile other than adjustments for Ca and pH?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 12.37.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 12.37.26 PM.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 41
Overall, that's not terrible water. It looks like they lime soften the water and then acidify it back with sulfuric acid since the sulfate content is fairly significant. Your approach of avoiding gypsum looks wise for that reason.

Adding acid is a likely need for pale beers and I can see that the alkalinity of the tap water may not be high enough for some dark styles, so baking soda might be necessary. Using a calculator is a wise choice for tayloring the water more closely to your beer style.

Back