Concentrating Rhubarb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indygunworks

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Rhubarb contains little to no pectins. I am planning on doing a 5 gallon batch this year as my gallon batch from last year was pretty awesome. It was however lacking a bit in the flavor department. It had good flavor just not enough of it. Since its low in pectins and I will be adding pectic enzyme when I let it sit for a few days can I boil the liquid down to concentrate the flavor?

More than likely I will have to make this in batches to get a full 5 gallons anyways..

What are my options here?

You could, but I'd just add more rhubarb. Cooked fruit tastes different than fresh fruit. Like the difference between an apple and apple pie filling- the "cooked fruit" flavor may not be as bright and crisp and flavorful.

I did a batch with 3 pounds of rhubarb, and it wasn't quite enough. Then I did a batch with 7 pounds of rhubarb and it was WAY too much. If you want a riot of rhubarb flavor, you could go with 7 pounds per gallon, but I"d likely go with 5 pounds per gallon for a big rhubarb flavor.

Oxalic acid will be stronger also, the more fruit you use. Keep that in mind if you want to consider using potassium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate to drop some of the oxalic acid.

I think I used around 8 pounds for the gallon and a half last time, and so far the taste testing of what I have been harvesting has not really been overly strong tasting so I think I will give the 7 pounds per gallona try this year. I can always dilute with a white wine if needed. Thanks for sharing the experience.

can you elaborate on the oxalic acid stuff though? That's a bit further than I think I have delved into yet.

Latest posts

Back