Conan Yeast Substitue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi all,
I searched around and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am about ready to brew my heady topper clone but need to figure out the yeast. I just came back from Vermont with a 4 pack of heady topper and drank 2 and threw the dregs of the can in a sanitized e flask just in case they would produce as a yeast starter (boiled some sugar and added it to it after it cooled). Each can seemed to have plenty of yeast and/or hop resins at the bottom.

I have two more cans in the fridge and am wondering if there is a yeast out there, that is commercially produced and for sale, that is similar to Conan, or if I should 2 step harvest the Conan yeast to make it ready for a heady clone.

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Harvesting the yeast like you did should work fine! But there is a new yeast company that sells a Vermont yeast that is Conan, I'm not sure the name, I'll go find it for you

The yeast bay is the company! Good luck with your brew!

That is fantastic to hear! I am newish to brewing but am in love with heady topper. I really would love to be able to buy a yeast that is comparable to Conan so I don't need to harvest from HT every time $16/4pack!

Chad, the site says say that you need to ferment at a lower temp then raise it to 72 degrees to get to a stable gravity. I don't have/know of a way to bring the fermentation to 72 degrees other than heater my house to that which I am not going to do.

Do you know if I can ferment it at 63 degrees and it will be fine or is there an easy way to raise the temp to 72 degrees?

Thanks!

I used it and started around 62 then let it rise to 68. 78% attenuation in 6 days.

I assume that reason for GigaYeast's higher price is the higher yeast cell count. White Labs and Wyeast have 100 billion cells in their vials/smack-packs, whereas GigaYeast has 200 billion, which is theoretically the right amount for a direct pitch for many 5 gallon batches. I probably wouldn't direct pitch a GigaYeast into a high gravity IIPA, but it should be about right for a pale ale under 6% ABV. For instance, Mr. Malty's yeast pitch calculator says a pale ale at 1.057 OG in a 5 gallon batch should have 198 billion cells, so GigaYeast would be right on, but WL and Wyeast would need a starter.

Back