Conan Yeast Experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ferment at 68, it's not the temps. I have had Conan get bad very late gen and give off clove and a little something odd. What attenuation did you get?

I think I got... mid 70's? It actually came out higher than I expected on my recipe, but I assumed it was because I overshot my OG so much..

Not sure on the gen. I got a vial from you a while back, stepped it up 2 times and used it.

I still have some of the 1st step in a vial in the fridge.

I just looked back in my notes and you had gen 8-10 shipped. I haven't shipped out anything later than 12 since I had the bad experience with the 18th gen. I used that 8-10 stock on my last 3 brews and they got ~82%, but PM me if you have troubles with that bit of 1st step you have.

Anyway to tell what gen yeast I have if my Heady was bought on April 29th?

Between 1-12, John doesn't use anything higher than that anymore. He told me it was 10 gen, but someone else about a month later, said he mentioned they go no higher than 12 now. The FG was floating up too high in the higher generation batches.

The easiest way to tell, if you can call it easy, is to track your attenuation. Super fresh is going to get near 85%, once you're at gen 10-12, it's going to be down in the 78-80% range.

I just looked back in my notes and you had gen 8-10 shipped. I haven't shipped out anything later than 12 since I had the bad experience with the 18th gen. I used that 8-10 stock on my last 3 brews and they got ~82%, but PM me if you have troubles with that bit of 1st step you have.

Will do. The first step seemed okay, but I did note that it had a belgian-ish nose to it. Clove like.

It's not good in the two beers I've used it in. I'm about to dump my DIPA that I did with it, as I just can't get over the esters it has, and need room in the kegerator.

Hopefully the last bit I have is good to use!

Sorry if someone has already covered this question, but what's the biggest beer you guys have brewed with Conan? I'm wanting to ferment a huge RIS with Conan, but I'm curious what the alcohol tolerance is.

Sorry if someone has already covered this question, but what's the biggest beer you guys have brewed with Conan? I'm wanting to ferment a huge RIS with Conan, but I'm curious what the alcohol tolerance is.
i'm currently drinking a 9.2% abv DIPA made with conan.

not sure it's the best choice for a RIS. seems too fruity to me.

Harvested from 2 cans into 130ml of 1.04 wort. Stepped it up again by adding an additional 500ml of 1.04 wort. This stuff is fierce...

Conan Yeast Starter.jpg

I brewed my first batch with conan on wednesday with a 1.05 OG 32IBU Maris Otter/Amarillo SMaSH American Pale Ale.

Day after I pitched the airlock was bubbling away. I'll wait a week or two to pull a sample but it should be tasting.

I'm looking at pitching my next batch on the cake with either a Heady Topper type clone or the Kern River Citra DIPA clone. Both sound good with this yeast.

Hope to in time try a few different IPA recipes with this yeast (assuming results are good with my first few).

i'm currently drinking a 9.2% abv DIPA made with conan.

not sure it's the best choice for a RIS. seems too fruity to me.

I'm definitely only going to do a one gallon test batch. I think the fruity character would be good in a really big RIS with lots of roast in it. I do plan on fermenting extremely cool to keep the esters down as low as possible, though. I just wonder if it can handle 10-12% ABV!?

I brewed a black IPA and split the batch - 3 gal with Conan and 3 gal with WLP090. They were pitched around 73F and then brought down to 66-67F in a water bath. The WLP090 stopped bubbling this morning about 2.5 days after pitching. The Conan batch is still bubbling 3 days later, but slowly. I assume this is expected based on how fast the WLP090 ferments, correct?

Anyone think I'll see some differences in these?
The Conan batch is still bubbling (albeit, very slowly) 6 days after pitching. The WLP090 is still not bubbling (obviously). They've been in a 67F water bath the whole time. I plan to check gravities today or tomorrow.

Anyone ever ferment cider with Conan?? I was just about to make some cider with the usual Notty yeast but I have some Conan yeast laying around and thought about using it...thoughts?

Anyone ever ferment cider with Conan?? I was just about to make some cider with the usual Notty yeast but I have some Conan yeast laying around and thought about using it...thoughts?

I bet it would work great for cider.

Anyone have any tips for shipping yeast? I need to get a couple of jars out for trades in the next day. I'm thinking I'll stick the jar in a zip-loc bag with a freezer pack and pack with a little bubble wrap. I figure with overnight shipping it should stay pretty cold. Thoughts?

I shipped out 4 samples. I put it in a urine sample jar (hey, they are sterile), sealed in ziplock, wrapped in a small towel and sealed in another ziplock bag, then lots of bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts. I didn't use any ice and I did ground shipping. This was about a month ago and no one has told me the yeast isn't active and one took like 4 days from here to CA. So I'd say you are more than fine.

Pretty sure I am brewing a Pliny The Younger clone with Conan yeast this 4th of July. Anyone have any experience with this combination that can say whether or not its a good idea?

Pretty sure I am brewing a Pliny The Younger clone with Conan yeast this 4th of July. Anyone have any experience with this combination that can say whether or not its a good idea?
on the whole the recipe for pliny isn't that different from HT - so yes, it'll be a great yeast to use.

I cannot get my latest IPA to clear. cold crashed for a few days after a 2 stage dry hop in primary and then kegged on top of another 2.5oz of bagged dry hops. i expected some haze from all the late/dry hops but this is super murky despite being in the keg at 38° for 2 weeks.

Its weird, the Conan I recently harvest has been clearing pretty well and fairly quickly in my starters, and it looks like the heady clone I just made is already clearing up after a few days, maybe I just have a later generation. It ferments really strong though so I am not sure what that means

My most recent brew (fermented with Conan that came from April 2013 batch of Heady) is also flocculating a lot more clearly than batches that came from yeast I harvested last November. The beers I made last year never cleared even after extended conditioning time. The batch I have now from the newer yeast has become very clear after only 1.5 weeks in the keg.

I should add that the Heady from last year poured very murky with lots of floaties. The batch from this past April didn't have floaties at all, and it was a lot less cloudy looking.

I've also detected that the yeast from last November contributed a much fruitier character as compared to this years April harvest.

Anybody have experience with direct-pitching ECY29 into a HT clone (~ 1.070ish)?

The jars are reported to contains 150 - 350B cells as is, and my jar is only 2 weeks old. Yeastcalc is telling me I need 254B cells for a 5.25gal pitch. This would seem to suggest that I would be OK just ptiching the jar as-is, but it still kind of bugs me out for a beer this big.

Any advice?

How many ml of actual yeast are in a vial of ECY29? I have an ECY02 and there is about 15ml of yeast in the 125ml bottle.

My bottle has about 35ml of solid yeast in the bottom after settling for 24hrs in the fridge

Anyone have a general idea of count per ml of conan harvested from trub after going through all the sanitizing steps etc i can expect?

Has anyone used Conan in an American wheat? I want to do a very hoppy American wheat, but if some generations are giving clove and spicy flavors I don't know if the Conan would be the best idea. Not sure what generation I have...the beer that I harvested from was canned on 5/9.

Has anyone used Conan in an American wheat? I want to do a very hoppy American wheat, but if some generations are giving clove and spicy flavors I don't know if the Conan would be the best idea.
if it did throw clove and spice, that would put you closer to a witbier... not a bad turn of events, IMO. but i haven't heard of Conan ever being that spicy...

if it did throw clove and spice, that would put you closer to a witbier... not a bad turn of events, IMO. but i haven't heard of Conan ever being that spicy...

True...not bad, but not what I'm shooting for. I may split the batch and use Conan on one and an American Wheat smack pack to see the impact of the different yeasts.

how many cells are in a bottle? and is shipping extra?

.150-350 billion a vial. They're 125ml bottles. Shipping is extra at cost and includes ice pack, 1 per vial ordered.

They go out at the upper limit but I include the lower number as an estimate. I'm doing a shipping mock test this week to see how many viable cells make it to the customer after shipment.

Has anyone used Conan in an American wheat? I want to do a very hoppy American wheat, but if some generations are giving clove and spicy flavors I don't know if the Conan would be the best idea. Not sure what generation I have...the beer that I harvested from was canned on 5/9.

I did a hoppy american wheat with conan and it turned out fantastic, one of my favorite batches. The only time I've ever gotten clove is in unhopped starters.

.150-350 billion a vial. They're 125ml bottles. Shipping is extra at cost and includes ice pack, 1 per vial ordered.

They go out at the upper limit but I include the lower number as an estimate. I'm doing a shipping mock test this week to see how many viable cells make it to the customer after shipment.

Any idea what generation customers will receive?

Anybody have experience with direct-pitching ECY29 into a HT clone (~ 1.070ish)?

The jars are reported to contains 150 - 350B cells as is, and my jar is only 2 weeks old. Yeastcalc is telling me I need 254B cells for a 5.25gal pitch. This would seem to suggest that I would be OK just ptiching the jar as-is, but it still kind of bugs me out for a beer this big.

As a follow-up, I went ahead and made a 1L starter and left it on the stirplate for about 16hrs. I pitched the whole thing into 5 gallons of a 1.071 DIPA with 90sec of O2 at 65F, and it took off in about 4-6hrs. By the next morning the airlock was like a machine gun and intese activity lasted about 24hrs.

This morning at about the 60hr mark, the krausen has completely dropped and activity has slowed markedly. I have never had a beer of this gravity ferment at this pace...impressive. I maintained a steady temp of 67-68F the whole time.

Based on the visual appearance, krausen behavior, and pace of fermentation, Conan seems to be a very low flocuulating strain of English origin. Unique indeed.

Conan should be done fermenting in 2-3 days. It is low to medium floc and likely some sort of English strain, I agree. It somehow puts malts and hops forward in the final product, a real amplifier of a yeast.

Conan should be done fermenting in 2-3 days. It is low to medium floc and likely some sort of English strain, I agree. It somehow puts malts and hops forward in the final product, a real amplifier of a yeast.

The low floc part of it is what makes it a highly unique English strain IMO. Probably helps get to the 80%+ atteuation numbers.

Back