Conan - split starter into 2 or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Recently successfully harvested some yeast from 2 cans of Heady. Started with a 300ml 1.030 or so starter and stepped that up an additional 1300 ml/1.040. Got a pretty large krausen (several inches high) and lots of activity in the erlenmeyer flask.

It is settling in fridge now and I have multiple jars full of boiled/sanitized/cooled water that I want to use as containers. Would you split the starter into 2 containers, or just pour the settled yeast all into 1 container? My goal is to make a Heady clone, but thought maybe a second container of Conan wouldn't be a bad thing. Just didn't want to come up short, although I do plan to prepare a starter again when I make the clone.

Thanks for any input

*Edit - just looked at the "Conan Experiences" thread...hope this yeast is worth the effort

Definitely split into two. Yeast from a starter is less stressed than slurry from a batch.

Back