Compressor Lock Up ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbeer

Reaction score
Have a whirlpool sidexside, controlled with STC1000. It has run fine for 2 years. I'm guessing my compressor has locked up, the fan will start and compressor relay will click on but the compressor will not start, then the relay will click off after a minute or so.
I've beat on the compressor hoping to free it ,but no luck.
Any Suggestions ? Thanks

Does the compressor start up when plugged into the mains, WITHOUT the STC? Not clear if you've tried that.

There may be a bad wire connection from the relay or somewhere else feeding the compressor, so any load will cause a severe voltage drop, preventing the compressor from starting up. It may also have just ceased. ;)

I've 119.1 volts going to relay. When relay clicks on, the compressor will come on, but then goes into overload and shuts off after about 5 sec.
I'm guessing it's most likely froze, I'm going to slap it with a hammer.
At this point, that will either fix or kill it.

Does your compressor have a starting capacitor? That one may be bad and prevent starting.

What's the voltage on the compressor side when the relay clicks on?

It has a small relay that it attached to compressor. 2 wires going in, none going out. the compressor is starting but, shuts down after a few seconds

There should also be some data on the compressor , that specifies "L R A", or "locked rotor amps", if you have a way to check the amp draw @ startup, and decide from there, if close to that amp range.

If ya' have access to another comparable capacitor, try that first, as someone mentioned.

Back