Comprable Old fezziwig ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDFH

Reaction score
Generally don't like to many of Sam's beers but I had two of these last Xmas and was just wondering if anyone could recommend an equivalent partial recipe. Found a clone online that looks like a good start but It sounds like it might turn out a little darker than I want. Just want a nice winter warmer with good spice notes and heavy on the abv for the frosty nights.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/oatbier

That is loosely based on an old Dutch recipe for "Haalem Bokbier" which calls for something like 50% oats. You can sub those for more malt of course. I came up with it because someone at the restaurant I worked at got the wrong kind of oats and lost the receipt, so I got the oats and used them the best I could. I tasted some 2 nights ago (It's almost 4 months old) and it's already a great winter warmer, by the time winter actually gets here it will be awesome!

I found this clone recipe awhile back online and made this back in August 2010. I remember it being pretty close.

Old Fezziwig Clone
5.5 gallons water
6 lbs. light Malt Extract 

2.5 lbs. Dry Dark Malt Extract (DME) 

.05 lbs. Chocolate Malt 

.05 lbs. Crystal Malt (80-L) 

.05 lbs. Black Patent Malt 

3 lbs. Clover Honey 

2 oz. Northern Brewer Hops (Bittering) 
- 60 min
1 oz. Cascade Hops (Aroma) 
- 5 min
1 oz. Ginger, Grated 

3 Oranges, Peeled and Quartered 

3 Cinnamon Sticks 

2 Whole Nutmegs 

3 Whole Cloves 

1/4 Teaspoon Irish Moss

1 Vial White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004) 

OG 1.040 – 1.060
FG 1.010 – 1.017

Latest posts

Back