Complex stout additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nckgibbons

Reaction score
This is my first time doing additions in a secondary for a stout and was wondering if I'm doing too much.

It started with a basic stout recipe at 1.090 OG, right now it's 1.025. When I move it to a secondary next week I was going to add oak chips with some maker's mark for a week, then add cold steeped coffee during bottling. But I was also thinking of "dry hopping" some cocoa nibs as well just for some more flavors. Would you guys think these are too many different tastes or should this be delicious?

There are plenty of coffee chocolate stouts, some are even barrel aged on occasion. It's totally your experiment. Take notes and tweak it next time.

Now if you added cherries to that, then THAT would just be too crazy.

:p

Oak and bourbon - yes

If you're going to add the coffee at bottling, it might be interesting to bottle half the batch w/out, and then add your coffee for the 2nd half.

Never tried cocoa nibs.

+1 for cherries. Definitely a fun twist for a stout.

I learned my lesson the hard way doing a winter ale a few months back. I will be making potions, and using extracts from now on. Be very conservative when you add something.

I ruined a batch adding a pinch of allspice, and boiling two cinnamon sticks for 6 minutes.

I just finished a founders breakfast stout clone, and I used half of the suggested coffee and cocoa nibs, which were steeped at flameout, and tasting it a month later, I did not need anymore coffee or cocoa flavor. So into the keg it went.

If it is your first time, add one thing at a time. Add your bourbon soaked chips first, then taste. Then add some coffee and cocoa, and keep tasting it. My mistake was not taking into account the added flavor profile once it's carbonated. Certain things become stronger once the bubble release the aroma..

Good luck, remember everyone has a different preference and taste. You can always add more flavor

This is my first time doing additions in a secondary for a stout and was wondering if I'm doing too much.

It started with a basic stout recipe at 1.090 OG, right now it's 1.025. When I move it to a secondary next week I was going to add oak chips with some maker's mark for a week, then add cold steeped coffee during bottling. But I was also thinking of "dry hopping" some cocoa nibs as well just for some more flavors. Would you guys think these are too many different tastes or should this be delicious?

All of 'em. Sounds tasty! I would put the nibs in first (make sure they are roasted to pull the flavor out!), then the oak and coffee. Check your flavor every few days until the oak gets to where you want it, then rack or bottle.

Back