Completely New to Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkerbi

Reaction score
Hi! I'm completely new to brewing anything but I'm a big fan of hard cider. I like how Woodchuck Amber and Winter taste and I generally like sweeter alcohols to bitter alcohols. I'm in college so I would really prefer the cheapest, quickest way to make it. I really just want to be able to fill all two 6 packs of the bottles at a time so i have them on a rotation so I won't ever run out for the most part. The simplest directions possible would be the best. I really do want to learn how to do this though. I'm looking for something sweet with preferably a spice taste but just sweet mainly if the spice is too hard. We have a brewing store in my town. Also, would baker's yeast work to keep it from getting too dry?

What I have:
5 gallon plastic bucket
an airlock
23 bottles
bottle caps and a hand capper

Don't use bakers yeast... It'll taste bready. Spend 5 dollars and get your self some ale or wine yeast at a local brew store. 1 gallon makes 10-12 bottles depending how how full they are filled. I get 55-60 out of my 6 gallon batches. It will be like a dry wine. You'll need to read and learn from the stove top pasteurization thread sticky. At worst start with a sweet still cider and amended it as needed.

Heres the low and dirty way.
Take juice, put in bucket. Add yeast and put airlock on. Bottle in 3-4 weeks. It really is that simple. but as you get used to that process, you can do things to insure a more consistent product, or one that tastes better:). But for college drinks those simple directions will work. Be forwarned that 12 bottles may only last you a few weeks, as cider tends to go away faster than you'd expect.

Lalvin K1V-1116 Montpellier
Lalvin 71B-1122 Narbonne
Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne
Lalvin ICV D-47 Wine Yeast

All good, All under $1. Make sure to get some cleaner as well, don't want to waste your time. The more natural sugar in the cider/juice the better it tastes (in my opinion). If you want real apple flavor, back sweeten with something apple-y (concentrate, more juice, etc.)

It sounds like you are looking for cheap and dirty though. Take one of the yeasts I listed and go to ALDI's find the first apple juice without added vitamin C or preservatives. Usually around $1.49 - $1.79 a gallon -- for 10-12 bottles.

Back