complete idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLTIDE

Reaction score
Acceptance is the first step. Now onto a solution to my problem. I maaaayyyy have overfilled my 12 ounce beer bottles with primed cider and they have been sitting for 5 days. Do I need to take some out of each one and recap or pastuerize and cross my fingers?

They are actually a lot less likely to blow overfilled than short filled, if it makes you feel any better. I say wait until one pops, then pasteurize! ;)

Acceptance is the first step. Now onto a solution to my problem. I maaaayyyy have overfilled my 12 ounce beer bottles with primed cider and they have been sitting for 5 days. Do I need to take some out of each one and recap or pastuerize and cross my fingers?

Too little headspace will just cause them to carb up slower. Like the previous poster said, it's _under_ filling them that can create bottle bombs!

Overfilling/underfilling will affect how carbed it gets.
Undercarbed = who gives a ****
Overcarbed = potential bottle bombs/trip to the E.R.
If you are worried about bottle bombs pull the caps off in a sanitary manner.
Store the bottles in a cooler environment as to slow down/stop the yeast.
Even if stored cold they can overcarb,wear thick clothing and eye protection.
Burp the bottles.(uncap/recap)
I'm sure there are threads regarding bottle bomb safety...Look them up.

Wait till one pops!?!?!? I only have 8 and a soda bottle of the same stuff to test but it does me not a lot of good since this is my first time bottling and no prior experiences on which to compare :/

I didn't want to risk it so I decided to do something else stoopid. I put them in a sink of 120 degree water to get them ready for the pot and immediately got 2 bombs. Now they are in the pot at 140 and set a timer for 20 minutes. Stupid is as stupid does.
UPDATE : the final 6 made it without incident and I will report back in 2 weeks on the final product. Thanks for all the responses.

Three days in the fridge and it tastes like plastic, WTH ?!?!?!?! .....disasterous :(

Plastic could be chlorine or chloramines in your water. Did you use tap water? Some of my first batches of mead and beer had to be tossed due to that nastiness. Now I use filtered water. Sorry for the frustration but it could be a learning experience.

Straight store bought AJ and Safale S-04 fermented down to 1.010 then boiled a cup of boiled spring water that I had steeped a few sticks of cinnamon in. Tasted fantastic before the paseurization so I don't know what happened :/

Possibly the rubber from the bottle caps in combination with the heat? I know I had a mead in a grolsch bottle that got overly hot during transport and tasted like plastic after, before transport that mead was amazing. I assumed it was the rubber from the grolsch cap the leached the taste due to heat.

Back