Competition Curiosities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
Our homebrew club, Brandon, FL Bootleggers, has a small group of brewers who meet monthly to judge one another’s beers (we do complete BJCP score sheets and we’re pretty careful about it) in an effort to improve both our evaluation skills and our beers. Each of us has chosen a particular style that we brew repeatedly in order to minimize the variables as we seek improvement. We also submit our beers routinely to competitions (not just our primary beers, but lots of them). Some of our best results have been curious cases:

Case #1.
One of our brewers brews a small ale that I suppose would best be called a cream ale. A year or so it took Gold as an American Light Lager and also took 2nd, best of show.

Case #2.
My first four iterations of my witbier showed steady improvement but seemed to be capping out at around 40 in competition. A 40 wit isn’t enough to beat the saisons (same category), though it’s often the best of the wits. For my fifth iteration I opened the smack pack and was hit with an unmistakable putrid smell. No problem, I used a washed yeast from a previous batch. My mistake: the unlabeled yeast, presumably a wit, was actually a hefe yeast. You guessed it. My “Hefewit” took gold.

Case #3.
One of our brewers had been making steady progress in competitions with his dunkelweizen. He brought his latest to the competition team meeting for judging and we gave it a 21, because it just didn’t meet the criteria for a good dunkelweizen, but it was a really tasty beer. We evaluated it and told him “enter this as a Southern English Brown and you’ll score really well”. Sure enough, Gold and 3rd place Best of Show.

Conclusions?

Category selection is one vital consideration when entering competitions.

The best mistakes are pleasant mistakes.

Sometimes with competition judging, you just never know.

Homer: I agree with all of your conclusions, of course. As a group and after over 18 months of monthly judging meetings and competitions, most of us have concluded that the feedback we get at our judging table is more valuable than what we've typically gotten from competitions. I'm BJCP certified and have judged several competitions and I have to say I agree with that.

At the same time that we need more trained, tested, certified judges, it's nearly impossible to get a seat at a Judging (tasting) Exam. I hope that logjam is broken sometime in the next few years.

Latest posts

Back