Competition category help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I have a rye IPA that I'll be entering into a competition and can't decide between category 14B or 23. The recipe used rye malt as 13% of the grain bill (with 2-row, vienna, and c-60), so not too much, and the hop character is really potent so the rye doesn't stand out, although it is probably perceivable. I'm also considering entering it into both categories to see how it does. What do you all think? Thanks

Competitions are about winning so enter it as many times as you can, in the categories you think you have the best shot in.

Cool, that's what I was hoping for. Should I enter it under the same brew name? I don't want the judges to dock it in the IPA category because they know it has rye in it from the category 23 entry.

Personally I'd stay away from 14A for a rye IPA. In fact just stay away from14A unless a major killer American IPA. Even a damn good English IPA won't beat US-05 and some great American hops.

What is the hop profile? If it is American (citrusy, piney, etc.) then 14B is better than 14A. Either way I still think it is going to get slammed in Cat. 14. The guidelines even state under 14B: "Versions with a noticeable Rye character (“RyePA”) should be entered in the Specialty category."

That being said I would probably enter it in both, who knows maybe the judges will not pick up on the rye as much. You can use the same name, the judges never know the name of the beer, all they know is a blind judging number.

I meant 14B, American IPA, whoops! The hop profile is citrusy, fruity, and slightly piney, definitely a hop bomb and possibly my best brew ever.

I think I'll enter it into both categories and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

That being said I would probably enter it in both, who knows maybe the judges will not pick up on the rye as much. You can use the same name, the judges never know the name of the beer, all they know is a blind judging number.

Cool, but there wouldn't be a problem with using different names?

Cool, but there wouldn't be a problem with using different names?

No. The names are typically only used when announcing the winners and sometimes on the score reports that are returned back with your score sheets. Once the bottles are checked in nobody should know anything about a beer other than the category it was entered in, and if applicable special ingredients.

It is pretty common for a beer to be entered into multiple categories. I have done it on several occasions when beers that straddles the line between categories and I have never worried about the names.

Latest posts

Back