Compensating for high pitch temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjandersen

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I brewed my second batch of beer yesterday (5 gallons of American IPA).
My OG was 1061 and I pitched with US-05 at about 77F - which I know is in the high end of the range.

Before going to bed I placed the fermenter in a place with a ambient temp of around 71,5F thinking that I was safe. However, it turns out that this morning the ambient temp had gone up to 76F (my condo has a temp auto-system) and since I'd read online that actual carboy temps are usually higher I took the temp inside = 79F!!! :confused:

I've now brought is down to 66F by placing it outside for 1,5 hours (50F) and will try to keep it in that range.;)

It there anything I could/should do to avoid off flavors due to my high initial temp?? Like Diacetyl rest or something to avoid acetaldehyde etc?

Before hand - thanks..

Let it rest on the yeast cake for a few days after fermentation is complete to handle acetaldehyde and diacetyl (just like you normally would, anyway). The esters that likely will be present will be there to stay. Hopefully there won't be a strong fusel presence, because those don't really age out either.

I would let it sit warm 6 weeks after fermentation.

Next time be ready to stick the fermenter in a bathtub or ice bath during fermentation.

Let it rest on the yeast cake for a few days after fermentation is complete to handle acetaldehyde and diacetyl (just like you normally would, anyway). The esters that likely will be present will be there to stay. Hopefully there won't be a strong fusel presence, because those don't really age out either.

+1. That's about all you can do at this point other than to keep it below 68*F.

Next time, figure out a way to get the wort temp down into the 60-62*F range prior to pitching even if you have to delay pitching for a while. That one adjustment will greatly help.

Thanks for the replies.. I can't believe I messed this up when having all facts straight..

Will the esters (and/or dactyl etc) be vastly messing up the end product??

I would let it sit warm 6 weeks after fermentation.
Next time be ready to stick the fermenter in a bathtub or ice bath during fermentation.

Hmm? Are you suggesting adding 6 weeks to the primary fermentation?
Or after they're bottled?

Firstly, now much of the fermentation took place?? It's only overnight. It sounds like you are still in the safe zone. Getting it down to proper temps right away probably saved this batch.

Next time I agree to pitch at the proper temp. And find a way to keep it at that temp, like a swamp cooler, temp controlled chamber, cool basement... The best is a temp controlled environment since it can compensate for the heat generated by the fermentation.

Thanks for the replies.. I can't believe I messed this up when having all facts straight..

Will the esters (and/or dactyl etc) be vastly messing up the end product??

Hmm? Are you suggesting adding 6 weeks to the primary fermentation?
Or after they're bottled?

I would leave it 1 month in primary. 6 weeks in the bottle.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but you will be glad you waited.

Firstly, now much of the fermentation took place?? It's only overnight. It sounds like you are still in the safe zone. Getting it down to proper temps right away probably saved this batch.

Next time I agree to pitch at the proper temp. And find a way to keep it at that temp, like a swamp cooler, temp controlled chamber, cool basement... The best is a temp controlled environment since it can compensate for the heat generated by the fermentation.

I was under the impression that the first 24 hours of fermentation is the critical time. I would treat this brew as if it has off flavors. Brew something else in the mean time to drink while you wait.

+1. That's about all you can do at this point other than to keep it below 68*F.

Next time, figure out a way to get the wort temp down into the 60-62*F range prior to pitching even if you have to delay pitching for a while. That one adjustment will greatly help.

I posted a photo of my swamp cooler set up with a fan. I added the water and fan this morning. Fermentation had begun over night. Yeast was WY3711, pitched into 60° wort. This morning at 8:00 AM wort temp eas 64°. I turned the fan off at 2:00 PM. Temp had dropped back to 60°. I want to hold it at 62° to 64°.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/swamp-cooler-61314.html

Thanks for replies!

As suggested I'll do a few extra days in the primary fermenter - does temperature matter here? (high or low end of the acceptable range??:confused:)

Then give it a few weeks in the secondary --> sample it - AND If of flavors are present I'll try to wait it out as suggested (prolonging secondary fermentation to a month) and bottle fermentation to x weeks..

I'll update the thread (a sampling and drinking) should anyone want info on the consequences of pitching yeast a little prematurely..

Thanks for replies!

As suggested I'll do a few extra days in the primary fermenter - does temperature matter here? (high or low end of the acceptable range??:confused:)

Then give it a few weeks in the secondary --> sample it - AND If of flavors are present I'll try to wait it out as suggested (prolonging secondary fermentation to a month) and bottle fermentation to x weeks..

I'll update the thread (a sampling and drinking) should anyone want info on the consequences of pitching yeast a little prematurely..

The good news is that you were using US-05. In my experience, this strain is one of the cleanest even when the beer ferments a bit warmer than you would want. The other good news is that this is an IPA, so hopefully some of the bitterness and hop flavor will mask the esters some.

The good news is that you were using US-05. In my experience, this strain is one of the cleanest even when the beer ferments a bit warmer than you would want. The other good news is that this is an IPA, so hopefully some of the bitterness and hop flavor will mask the esters some.

Good to hear! (I've aimed for 60 IBU in both..)
I'm doing two 2,5 gallon batches which are identical except from the fact that one is solely hopped with Willamette and the other is solely hopped with Target (both are going to be dry-hopped intensely as well with these respective hops) - I guess I'll also get to know which hop hides esters most adequately.. :tank:

Good to hear! (I've aimed for 60 IBU in both..)
I'm doing two 2,5 gallon batches which are identical except from the fact that one is solely hopped with Willamette and the other is solely hopped with Target (both are going to be dry-hopped intensely as well with these respective hops) - I guess I'll also get to know which hop hides esters most adequately.. :tank:

I have my fingers crossed that you won't need to worry about esters. I ran into ester problems with a beer fermented with S-04. I literally could not drink the beer. I had a beer fermenting right next to it with US-05 and it was absolutely fine.

I have my fingers crossed that you won't need to worry about esters. I ran into ester problems with a beer fermented with S-04. I literally could not drink the beer. I had a beer fermenting right next to it with US-05 and it was absolutely fine.

This kind of info is priceles!!!

Thanks man - I hope it helps!

Interesting on the S-04. I wan't to do a UK vs. US Pale Ale battle soon..
I'll be watching the temps closely - staying in the low end!

Okay a little update..

Fermentation slowed down considerably after 4 days! (indicated by no krausen and low airlock activity)

Therefore I did an FG-measurement which read 1013 and 1014 (two separate carboys). Thats pretty much where I want to be. I think there's still quite a bit yeast in suspension

However they both had a slightly sourish smells and also a slightly sour taste. Since I know my way well around working clean (from lab experience) I don't think this was caused by infection..

Will the slightly sour smell/taste mellow out? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? Should I stick to the given advice about keeping it in the primary for several weeks more (I mean will it actually significantly improve)? Or should I just prolong my diacetyl-rest for a couple of days more?

Yes, leave it in primary longer, it will improve. Is the sour taste like a green apple taste? That would indicate acetaldehyde and it will condition out in the primary.

Yes, leave it in primary longer, it will improve. Is the sour taste like a green apple taste? That would indicate acetaldehyde and it will condition out in the primary.

Yes, sort of.. (definitely not vinegar-like) it is sort of close to sour gummies..

Just a technical question in this relation: if the active yeast is the yeast in suspension why does it really matter whether you do the rest in the primary or the secondary?!

Conventional wisdom is that sitting on the yeast cake keeps more yeast in contact with the beer, thus speeding up the process of cleaning up acetaldehyde and diacetyl. Not sure off-hand if there is empirical data to confirm that, maybe someone else knows and can post a link to a study? Also, since a secondary (or bright tank) is rarely a necessity, leaving the beer in primary to bulk condition and clear is generally faster and more consistent than letting off flavors condition out in bottles.

I agree with the above - month primary and 6 weeks in the bottle. Sometimes, the best answer is just leave it alone for a bit.

I did another gravity reading after 8 days more in the primary (couldn't help it!)
both carboys were 1012..
I tasted and smelled the samples and the sour smell and taste was completely gone - It basically tasted like a decent, but flat IPA - good but subtle aroma as well.. :tank:

After 2 weeks of bottle carbonation these IPA are far from excellent.. They're very drinkable but both has a distinct peachy/apricot aroma and a slightly tart bitter profile (particular the Target-IPA).. No detectable off-notes besides or anything ..

Willamette is slightly better than Target in terms of a nice floral/fruity aroma and to some extent taste + plus it doesn't have the same tart bitterness..
I wouldn't go for a single-hops target brew again..

Latest posts

Back