Comparing burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can give me a reason why this burner, which I would think because of its design (similar to the ones that Blichmann uses) only produces up to 100,000 BTU's

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-banjo-burner-and-stand-100000-btus/p/64482/&sid=&eid=/

Whereas this burner, which has a smaller surface and no where near the even ness of the flame can produce up to 170,000 BTU's.

http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-170000-btus/p/30295/&sid=&eid=/

It just makes no sense at all to me.

I've had both and they operate very differently. The flow of gas from the high pressure burner is higher than the banjo burner (hence the name). I'm assuming that they rate these burners on the flowrate of the gas through the burner (CFM*BTU rating of propane); consequently, it would make sense that the high pressure burner would put out more BTUs.

HOWEVER, just because it's flowing more propane than the banjo burner doesn't mean that it is going to heat your pot quicker. IMHO the banjo burner heated things up significantly faster because it's a more even flame, which results in a more even heating.

If you're trying to figure out which is better I would definitely go with the banjo burner. It's significantly quieter than the high pressure burner, and I noticed my propane tank lasted longer with the banjo vs the high pressure.

Please don't multi-post.

Those last two burners are the same 10" BG-14. The difference in the output rating is likely the regulators are different. Some BG-14 burners come with 0-10 psi regs, others come with 0-30 psi regs...

Cheers!

Please don't multi-post.

Those last two burners are the same 10" BG-14. The difference in the output rating is likely the regulators are different. Some BG-14 burners come with 0-10 psi regs, others come with 0-30 psi regs...

Cheers!

Thanks for the answer.

Just asking, why not ask in more than one thread? its not like I started multiple threads asking the same question or even started a thread at all.

I take it that the 30 psi regulator would be better if I wanted 2 burners in my brew stand when I build it, Right?

Cheers :mug:

The obvious answer - aside from the blatent thread theft ;) - is now you're carrying on two separate conversations about the exact same topic.

Cheers!

The obvious answer - aside from the blatent thread theft ;) - is now you're carrying on two separate conversations about the exact same topic.

Cheers!

Thread theft? lol isnt the title Compairing burners? isnt that what Im trying to do? no thread theft in asking about burners.

Yes but you might get better information from one thread, than the other, not everyone reads every thread, I have found that on one thread, you might get opposite answers as the other thread too lol

Im just trying to get as much information as I can before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Buy a blichmann and be done with it.

I wouldn't waste my time with the cheap burners

Why would I pay twice the price for a Blichmann when everything leads me to beleave that the burners are the exact same, especially since Im going to be gutting it soon.

Unless you have any facts to base your opinion on ?

I purchased the Agri Supply burner and installed it in a Bayou Classic, tight fit but bit fit nonetheless. The differences between that setup and the Blichmann are many:

1. The Blichmann burner uses far less gas and doesn't need a huge BTU output to reach optimum temp for boiling and/or stike t emp.

2. The stainless steel sheeting that encases the Blichmann burner has the burner positioned at the right height and provides the right about of a break for cross winds that you don't have to turn the dial all the way to the top just to get the water boiling.

The blichmann has reached boiling temp from tap water temp (46 degrees the last time I brewed) to a full boil in exactly 20 minutes.

That same Agri Supply burner used twice the gas and took over 40 minutes to reach a full boil every time I used it.

What you will spend in gas you could buy a blichmann.

Others may have other opinions but that's mine and its only from personal experience.

Those are the facts....

Yeah - the burners are identical to the Blichmann's, so don't worry about that - you are paying for the stand w/ the Blichmann's (which are nice).

I have both of the burners you mention - my summary...

Banjo burners - silent, heavy, easily effected by wind

Smaller, high BTU burner - fairly loud, small, not affected by wind

If I were to do it over again, I might have gone with the SQ14 burners instead. Lightweight yet still quiet and probably not as vulnerable to the wind.

I'm guessing the increased efficiency from the Blichmann is due to their nicer windscreen (which is no doubt nice - much nicer than the ones I have rigged up).

I purchased the Agri Supply burner and installed it in a , tight fit but bit fit nonetheless. The differences between that setup and the Blichmann are many:

1. The Blichmann burner uses far less gas and doesn't need a huge BTU output to reach optimum temp for boiling and/or stike t emp.

2. The stainless steel sheeting that encases the Blichmann burner has the burner positioned at the right height and provides the right about of a break for cross winds that you don't have to turn the dial all the way to the top just to get the water boiling.

The blichmann has reached boiling temp from tap water temp (46 degrees the last time I brewed) to a full boil in exactly 20 minutes.

That same Agri Supply burner used twice the gas and took over 40 minutes to reach a full boil every time I used it.

What you will spend in gas you could buy a blichmann.

Others may have other opinions but that's mine and its only from personal experience.

Those are the facts....

Thank You dpalme, Now thats some great information.

Is the Bayou Banjo burner the same as the blichmann burner ? this is now what I am looking at.

And if the Bayou Banjo burner and the blichmann burner were were taken out of there stands and placed into a homemade brew stand would there be any difference in propane use or get to a boil temps ?

Or if you took a Bayou Banjo burner and put it into a Blichmann stand would their be any noticeable difference between the two ?, might be a better way for me to ask.

I know about the space between burner and pot being different, thats not a problem, Im going to dismantle and use the burner, hose and regulator only.

Thanks Again

Cheers:mug:

Yeah - the burners are identical to the Blichmann's, so don't worry about that - you are paying for the stand w/ the Blichmann's (which are nice).

I have both of the burners you mention - my summary...

Banjo burners - silent, heavy, easily effected by wind

Smaller, high BTU burner - fairly loud, small, not affected by wind

If I were to do it over again, I might have gone with the SQ14 burners instead. Lightweight yet still quiet and probably not as vulnerable to the wind.

Thank You MNDan,

What burners do you have, I have no problem building quality wind guards in by stand and placing any burner at the right height or making burner height adjustable for that matter.

Once again conflicting answers make it very difficult to decide.

Im now looking at the KAB4 burner with stand, so I can use it till build my brew stand.

Im going to be boiling up to 14 gal of wort some of the times.

My pot is 17" across the bottom, seems like a 6" burner (SQ14) would not distribute heat as good as a 10" burner (KAB4) would, I would think, that I would be able to turn the flame way down with the 10" burner and maintain a boil using my pot, and the burner set at the right height.

Or am I missing something about the SQ14 ?

Wile,
Your welcome and I would respectfully disagree that the burners are the same. I have found that blichmann uses less gas because of its design and because of the wind guard which also acts as the burner frame.

If you are going to boil 14 gallons don't even think about a six inch burner.... You'll waste time and money trying to get that much wort to a boil.

Wile,
Your welcome and I would respectfully disagree that the burners are the same. I have found that blichmann uses less gas because of its design and because of the wind guard which also acts as the burner frame.

If you are going to boil 14 gallons don't even think about a six inch burner.... You'll waste time and money trying to get that much wort to a boil.

Thanks, I was pretty sure about not using the 4" or 6" burner, but I have read so many people saying thats what they use.

Im a firm believer in overkill, and am pretty sure overkill works well when heating to and maintaining a boil, that way I can just turn it way down and still maintain a boil.

Back