Commercial APAs without Cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krahm

Reaction score
I know some folks think that's a contradiction in terms, but I'd like to set that conversation aside for the moment, if possible. I'm new to the hobby, and I'd like to branch out a bit. I'm not a huge fan of grapefruit, so I'd like to get a sense of what some other hops taste like in an APA, and I'd like to speed up the process a bit (rather than waiting 6 weeks per batch).

So, can anyone suggest some commercial ales to try that use something other than Cascade? I've got a batch going using Magnum/Willamette, but it's going to be a few weeks. In the meantime, since the pipeline is dry, I thought I might take a shortcut, try a few beers that feature different hops and restock my bottle supply in the process. Any suggestions? It seems like everything I look at features Cascade....

Here's what I've got so far. Doing a bit of research this morning, I did see that a local TX brewery (Real Ale) uses Czech Saaz in their Rio Blanco Pale, and I see that New Belgium's Dig features Nugget and Sorachi Ace (though Cascade, too), so those are going on the shopping list.

I know there is a brewery that makes single hop IPA's and Pale Ales. Good for getting the feel for a certain hop variety. Can't remember the name but they have them at BevMo. I just made a single hop (Columbus) pale that is AMAZING!!

Widmer Brothers has a series of single hop beers using lesser used varieties.

There are plenty of non-Cascade US pale ales but not as many non-citrusy ones. The Northeast has a number of of English-style pale ales. Cooperstown and Shipyard (Chamberlain Pale Ale) come to mind, but there are others.

EDIT: just Googled them and it looks like even those use Cascades in conjunction with other hops. My recollection is they were not grapefruity.

I never got a lot of grapefruit from Cascade anyway. That's more of a Amarillo/Simcoe/Citra thing.

Anyway, a couple options that you should be able to find nearly anywhere:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo is Magnum/Crystal/Citra
Widmer Drifter is Nelson Sauvin/Summit

Interesting. Did a bit of checking, and it looks like a few different breweries are doing the single-hop thing. Mikkeller (Copenhagen) seems to be taking the most ambitious approach, though. Looks like a very useful experiment. I'll have to see if I can get their stuff locally, though.

Thanks for the other replies, too. Please keep 'em coming!

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is all centenial. Tasty stuff.
It's also an IPA :)

Interesting. Did a bit of checking, and it looks like a few different breweries are doing the single-hop thing. Mikkeller (Copenhagen) seems to be taking the most ambitious approach, though. Looks like a very useful experiment. I'll have to see if I can get their stuff locally, though.

Thanks for the other replies, too. Please keep 'em coming!

I think Sam Adams took the most ambitious approach already. They released 5 single-hop beers and all 5 combined last year. Tasting it you realize why some hops are traditionally used in combination with other hops.

Stone IPA = Centennial

Stone Arrogant Bastard = Chinook (with a healthy dose of Special B).

I think Sam Adams took the most ambitious approach already. They released 5 single-hop beers and all 5 combined last year. Tasting it you realize why some hops are traditionally used in combination with other hops.

Mikkeller has brewed 19(!) single hop beers.

Bravo, Cascade, Centennial, Cluster, Columbus, Galena, Mt. Hood, Nugget, Super Galena, Tettnanger, Willamette, Citra, Palisade, Simcoe, Warrior, Challenger, Magnum, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace.

More info: http://www.mikkeller.dk/index.php?id=10&news_id=123&land=1

Just made a quick run to the store. No Widmer, no Bell's, no Mikkeller, no Sam Adams single-hop. I grabbed some Dig and some Torpedo. At least I'll have something to do tonight.

Did I mention that my mother-in-law just got in for a 2-week visit?

krahm said:
Just made a quick run to the store. No Widmer, no Bell's, no mikeller, no Sam Adams single-hop. I grabbed some Dig and some Torpedo. At least I'll have something to do tonight.

Did I mention that my mother-in-law just got in for a 2-week visit?

Looks like you'll be back to that store for more reasons that your dislike of Cascade.

dwarven_stout said:

That's also a Ipa...

That's also a Ipa...

Sure, and so are all the Mikkellers. Let's be honest, though- Sam Adams IPAs are a homebrewer's Pale Ale.

I don't mean to say that brewing 19 single-hop IPAs isn't ambitious, but Sam Adams put a deconstructed IPA into every Wal-Mart in the country.

Sure, and so are all the Mikkellers. Let's be honest, though- Sam Adams IPAs are a homebrewer's Pale Ale.

I don't mean to say that brewing 19 single-hop IPAs isn't ambitious, but Sam Adams put a deconstructed IPA into every Wal-Mart in the country.

Perhaps true, but Mikkeller is a foreign brand and Sam Adams is about as American as it gets. That DOES make a big difference :)

And not unimportant: import taxes.

Perhaps true, but Mikkeller is a foreign brand and Sam Adams is about as American as it gets. That DOES make a big difference :)

And not unimportant: import taxes.

Are they all coming here? If so I'll be impressed. :drunk:

18 different single hopped beers is something that my own homebrew club is doing for fun, after all.

Are they all coming here? If so I'll be impressed. :drunk:

18 different single hopped beers is something that my own homebrew club is doing for fun, after all.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but Sam Adams is Bostonian.

The HOPS aren't all American..but that's irrelevant.

I'm not sure how you lost the Mikkeller subplot. I was talking about all those beers.

I'm sorry. I thought you asked: "Are they all coming FROM here"

But you didn't :p

I have no idea if they are all shipped to the US but I'm sure there's ways to get them.

Speaking of Stone( and I know this is offtopic), but their "Saison du Buff"...whas that a one off batch in collabortation with 2 other breweries? Or is it still available?

Just wanted to say that, having tried the New Belgium Dig, this is a very interesting brew. Sorachi Ace and Nelson Sauvin up front. It's like a tropical fruit dessert. Not going to become my everyday after-work beer, and I think the malt profile is a bit cloying (I know, to each his own), but certainly worth the price of the six-pack to see what those hops can do.

Victory Headwaters contains no Cascade. Though, it is probably moot if you are tying to avoid the citrus as it's all Centennial and Citra.

dwarven_stout said:

which sam adams brew would this be?

Back