Combining Yeast Strains either Serial or Parallel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutant

Drinking problem: Can make more than I can drink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious on anyone that has used multiple yeasts for a brew.

I've made a Cream Ale in the past using pairing WLP001 (CA Ale) and WLP002 (English Ale) together; thus parallel use of yeasts. This Cream Ale was called 'Trailer Trash Twins' as it was a quickie without expectations using the dual yeasts - this turned out as maybe an upper 30s score if submitted for competition.

Today I pitched WLP820 (Marzen) to start a Doppelbock (to be used for Eisbock) at 1.091 then in maybe a week add WLP885 (Zurich Lager) to bring the FG down; thus, a serial use of yeast. The WLP820 will likely only get to 1.028. I want to get it down to ~1.020 which will take close monitoring. I'm hoping that the WLP885 doesn't throw its normal phenolic characters by dropping it towards the end. My concern is that the yeasts are just too different to create a feasible beer. My other thought was using a neutral champagne yeast.

So again, just curious what others have done in this area or any thoughts.

My other thought was using a neutral champagne yeast.

Unless you can find a champagne yeast strain that can use maltotriose, it's not going to finish the fermentation of any beer.

When I brew really big beers, I will start with the desired strain (to get the flavor profile that I am looking for) with plenty of yeast, then 3-4 days in add in a starter of WLP-099 high gravity yeast to finish it off and have had good results with that process. I've been able to get several to 14-16% (Belgian Quads) and once a RIS to ~18%.

BTW- One of the big homebrew sites, NB, I think, has a house strain, WLP-201 that is a blend of 001 & 002

Last edited:
Unless you can find a champagne yeast strain that can use maltotriose, it's not going to finish the fermentation of any beer.
WLP715 Champagne yeast is listed Belgian Table bier, Tripel and American Pale Ale

A POF+ STA1+ lager yeast sounds like a disaster. I wouldn't use it.

I wouldn't use any STA1 yeast in a lager. Between excessive attenuation and phenols, just sounds unpleasant. That included both WLP099 and 3711. 3711 has its place (farmhouses, grisettes, saisons, etc, Belgian beers and NOT lagers) but WLP099 is a nightmare yeast unless you like super-attenuated boozy nuclear strength beers. I would never recommend that yeast to anyone.

Back